1469 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

Hey all,

Anyone else noticing this? It seems to be happening more and more that a buyer will ask for support on a 2nd or 3rd URL with only one purchase of the theme.

It would be interesting for Envato to properly address this as most buyers are surprised when I point out that multiple licenses are required and redirect them to the licensing page appropriately.

Just wondered any other authors experiences with this? :)

3610 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

How you do you know that they purchased a single license? Do you see this somehow or are you asking them? How do you ask them?

1054 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

Yes, I experience it a lot with one of my plugins. I tried to be polite and I answered all the support requests, but it’s a bit frustrating :)

I never let them know that they need another license for each domain, I don’t know how to ask this politely :)

1054 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

How you do you know that they purchased a single license? Do you see this somehow or are you asking them? How do you ask them?

In the email I receive when they send me the support email from my profile page, there is that link and when you click on it, you are taken to the buyers profile where you see what they purchased from you

1359 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+8 more
ImanGM says

Hey,

I have a client with 8 sites for a single theme! I was suspicious about it and opened a ticket to support and they told me that he’s purchased only one license…

By the way I’m not sure if he’s using the single purchased license or he is asking his clients to purchase the item separately with their own accounts…

Honestly I don’t know what should I do about it…

Cheers,
Iman

+6 more
tommusrhodus says

I’ve been able to notice it more since the Ticksy 2.0 beta. Now that you can see in the ticket how my tickets that buyer has opened. So I’m usually ticked off by a ticket like “Can’t import demo data” so I open the ticket, notice the purchase was about 6 months ago and check their previous tickets against the new, and there it is, 2 (or 3) different URLs over the history.

What I ask then is that they paste both license codes into the ticket for me to verify (Revaxarts dashboard plus), usually this is met by confusion over the license terms from the buyer.

3610 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

What I ask then is that they paste both license codes into the ticket for me to verify (Revaxarts dashboard plus), usually this is met by confusion over the license terms from the buyer.

Cool! I should start doing this! :)

+6 more
tommusrhodus says

@envato staff, any reply on this? Indeed some more buyer education on this issue would clear up most of this issue, I’ve found most buyers simply don’t know this is the case, and are using 1 license for multiple client projects purely from a lack of license education on this issue.

2661 posts Community Team
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+19 more
contrastblack Envato team says

@envato staff, any reply on this? Indeed some more buyer education on this issue would clear up most of this issue, I’ve found most buyers simply don’t know this is the case, and are using 1 license for multiple client projects purely from a lack of license education on this issue.

Hey Tom,

I concur with the need for additional education in this case, but at the same time I would really appreciate if this thread were to actually become a brainstorm-platform of suggestions that I can gather and push through the appropriate channels.

Currently, the licensing terms are mentioned in about 5 different places I can think of (might be more), available pre-purchase, including but not limited to:

Once an item is purchased, again, a “Regular License” or “Extended License” link appears right under each download within the Downloads page. A direct link to the license certificate stating ONE PROJECT in all-caps is included in that email as well.

Aside from a dedicated Notes post about this, which would only serve as a temporary solution, for those that are active members now, I’m open to hearing your ideas on how this could be improved.

Also, as some of you mentioned having been able to confirm that a single regular license was used in multiple different projects, you should not feel bad for politely pointing that out, with one of the handy links above for further details :)

Cheers
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

Very much appreciated CB, apologies for pushing the post a little, just got off the other end of a ticket of this exact issue and dug this up a little out of annoyance :)

The obvious answer I think is that a URL would be registered to the theme purchase via the buyers “Downloads” page, which is then applied to the API for that license key, that way support systems that scrape the API to check license keys against purchases could also be presented by a registered URL.

The intricacy here would be to provide a reliable system like this that benefits authors support commitments, whilst obviously trying to keep buyer inconvenience to a minimum, which would be the main challenge.

by
by
by
by
by
by