3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
AlexMD says

I hope I will not offend anybody by my answer, which is mainly “from the other side of the fence”, the buyer.

I bought 2 themes until now from Envato and sadly both times I had bad experiences with themes that did not raised to the advertised “premium” level. I was frustrated both times that I couldn’t return the theme and get my money back after just 3-4 days of use. Maybe it was just me that had a bad experience, but from this perspective, even the thought of introducing monthly/annual payments is… let’s say at least funny.

If anything, I would like Evanto to introduce an option to free-test the themes for a limited amount of time with your own data, not just using the “conveniently picked and arranged” stuff in the demos. Recurring paying wold make a lot of buyers just turn back to the simpler free themes out there or to the learning tutorials in order to create/tweak your own theme.

Sorry if I seem grim, I don’t want to be. Just that the initial question seemed to be so far away for the experience some of the buyers have with some of the themes..

631 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
UBLThemes says

If anything, I would like Evanto to introduce an option to free-test the themes for a limited amount of time with your own data, not just using the “conveniently picked and arranged” stuff in the demos.

And how would envato stop you from just taking the theme and not paying for it?

224 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
WPAlchemy says

I would like Evanto to introduce an option to free-test the themes for a limited amount of time with your own data, not just using the “conveniently picked and arranged” stuff in the demos.

That’s how things are sold, well presented. If the buyer can’t “convenientrly arrange” his/her information it doesn’t mean the theme is a bad product. It just means, the theme author has more skills in presenting data (of course, after all, he is a designer). I have had people complain about my plugin because they couldnt achieve an effect I had on the demo, and instead of asking me how i did it, they just complain in the comments section or rate the item 3 stars.

What i mean here is that most of the time, if a product doesn’t raise to the premium advertised level, its not the items or the authors fault, but the client’s inexperience and lack of skills in web design, which is of course expected from someone who doesn’t do that for a living.

3 posts
AlexMD says

I would like Evanto to introduce an option to free-test the themes for a limited amount of time with your own data, not just using the “conveniently picked and arranged” stuff in the demos.

That’s how things are sold, well presented. If the buyer can’t “convenientrly arrange” his/her information it doesn’t mean the theme is a bad product. It just means, the theme author has more skills in presenting data (of course, after all, he is a designer). I have had people complain about my plugin because they couldnt achieve an effect I had on the demo, and instead of asking me how i did it, they just complain in the comments section or rate the item 3 stars.

What i mean here is that most of the time, if a product doesn’t raise to the premium advertised level, its not the items or the authors fault, but the client’s inexperience and lack of skills in web design, which is of course expected from someone who doesn’t do that for a living.

Yeah, you are totally right about that, I was not reffering to the buyers ability to use the “tool” (theme/plugin etc) at the same level as the developer. I was just reffering to the situations where the theme outright does not perform as a “premium” theme: lots of bugs, slow performance, and bad usability if you try to step outside of the things in the demo. I am not bitching about it, maybe I had bad luck – twice – and for sure it was my fault for not chosing wisely. I am just stating that based on this experience, if an author (even if it is a really good one, that has a sturdy, reliable theme) would ask for a monthly fee, I would not consider him/her…

3 posts
AlexMD says

If anything, I would like Evanto to introduce an option to free-test the themes for a limited amount of time with your own data, not just using the “conveniently picked and arranged” stuff in the demos.

And how would envato stop you from just taking the theme and not paying for it?

Hmm you are absolutely right! I never thought about the bad actions that one might take in this situation. So this is unfortunately not feasable. Unless… envato would in fact have the server set up and you would receive user/pass for a limited amount of time, to play with the theme (inport your data if you want and play with the back-end). I think I’ve seen this somewhere on another website… but I think it would be too complicated for the number of users of envato…

619 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

Just stop discussing this. It’s the worst idea ever to do such thing.

163 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
+5 more
ait says

I don’t think it’s a bad idea. If you purchase any product, you have 2 years warranty. After that you need to pay for all repairs yourself. Why would we have to support themes for free forever?

325 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
-bianca- says
Wouldn’t it be a good idea for Envato to introduce recurring yearly fees for all purchased items? I’m talking about let’s say 5-10% of item price. It would keep the old items going, and authors happy.
I don’t think this is a good idea. Mainly because you buy things as is. That’s the terms of this marketplace. I personally wouldn’t mind paying for support, but this has to be a choice.

EDIT: Also there is nothing wrong with letting the old items go.

1752 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

This is most likely a bad idea. Why? Because users will demand updates even if there’s nothing to fix. If the theme is coded good, it may work just fine even after 1-2 years, but the user who paid a fee to get updates will have expectations and will ask for updates, since he paid for it.

619 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

I don’t think it’s a bad idea. If you purchase any product, you have 2 years warranty. After that you need to pay for all repairs yourself. Why would we have to support themes for free forever?

That’s the whole point: you DON’T have to!

And IF you DO want to offer it: What’s better than get your clients to pay you directly?

There’s a serious lack of business thinking here.

by
by
by
by
by
by