86 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
wp_workshop says

What do you all think about it, do you use it? I’ve had Ubuntu installed for the last year as dual boot (Windows being my main OS), but i haven’t really used it that much.

But i think it’s interface is beautiful, it is really fast, i can do all of my web dev work on Linux and more and more games are coming to Linux (thanks Valve, Dota is already here! ) and OpenOffice is good nowadays. For me personally – the only reason why i am still using Windows is because ‘i am used to it’, but i am seriously thinking about making a permanent switch to Linux.

There aren’t drawbacks of using Linux (Ubuntu) any more, on the contrary, you don’t have to spend 10 days anymore just to install it and mess with all drivers, ubuntu has a really nice and simple install, it’s free and i can do anything that i would do on Windows.

Only thing that comes to mind is that i have to open up a PSD occasionally, but there is no Photoshop for Linux :(

3673 posts Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

While my main machine is a Mac, I’m on Ubuntu nearly daily when I’m in one of the university’s computer rooms. For me, the unix ‘under the hood’ is what makes the difference. Firefox is quite the same, but the commandline is vastly different. I very much like how everything is right at your fingertips from the moment you install the system – from Python to SSH and from bash to netcat. It’s just there :)

I get that these are not reasons that might convince the average user, but for me that’s what tips the scales when the BIOS prompts me if I would like to boot into Windows or Ubuntu. ;)

As for your specific points: I agree that it’s a bit inconvenient that there’s no Adobe software available – you could consider to dualboot to Windows in those cases when you really do need Photoshop, though. It’s all a matter of getting used to it, I guess.

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+4 more
bitfade says

Permanently switched all my dev machines to linux like 7y ago, i only need win when testing IE but a virtualbox instance is more than enough for that.

224 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
WPAlchemy says

The lack of Photoshop and a decent html/css IDE is the main point why i dont use ubuntu either. I had Fedora as my only OS when i worked as a C/C++ dev, but now I just cant seem to find the right replacement soft for Adobe suite. Now that google web designer appears to be targeting to fill that gap, i would just need a photoshop replacement.

Until then, ill stay with W7.

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+4 more
bitfade says

The lack of Photoshop and a decent html/css IDE is the main point why i dont use ubuntu either.
No ps, i agree but for js/php/html/css coding you have a lot of options.
262 posts
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
Endat says

I absolutely love Linux.. it’s like a fine wine, there are many types.. good ones, bad ones. Mac users also like linux, because after all they share a lot of DNA and a lot of the controls are already familiar.

Here are my favorite free ones:

1. Mageia (robust OS, formerly Mandriva, formerly Mandrake)
  2. OpenSUSE (beautiful)
  3. Fedora (from RedHat)
  4. Ubuntu (lightweight)
There are a couple of essentials with each installation I do:
  • VirtualBox.. machines can be copied from machine to machine, so this is awesome to just copy my dev environment from my Windows machine, to my Mac or onto my Linux box.. and back again
  • Crossover Office.. not to be confused with Open Office, it’s used for installing and running Windows apps (even Photoshop) directly on the native Linux desktop.. Costs about $60 though
  • Chrome, Firefox, Opera (you won’t find Safari.. but you will find Konqueror, from which Safari was originally based ;)
  • ActiveState Komodo Edit.. great for coding php, css, js, html, etc.. its just awesome

The major difference between the operating systems is the way they install things.. I prefer the RPM style of Mageia and Fedora.. it’s a lot like Windows installations, you run a single file and tell it to install.. then it installs :)

Oh yeah, I forgot the Desktop managers.. you have Gnome (which is like Mac with a nice twist) and there is also KDE (which Windows users might prefer).. other desktop managers aren’t worth my time really, those are the 2 major ones and they completely control the way your desktop looks and acts.

224 posts
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
WPAlchemy says

The lack of Photoshop and a decent html/css IDE is the main point why i dont use ubuntu either.
No ps, i agree but for js/php/html/css coding you have a lot of options.

Nothing like DW with html tag/css property autocompelte and such. Once you get used to being lazy, there is no coming back.

86 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
wp_workshop says

@WPAlchemy

Wait what? I never used DW, but are you talking about code completion and auto suggests? Man every better free editor has this, like Notepad++, NetBeans, Komodo Edit…

PS check out this, watch the demo, it’s a great tool for the lazy :) http://docs.emmet.io/
115 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bulgaria
Aether-Themes says

@WPAlchemy

Wait what? I never used DW, but are you talking about code completion and auto suggests? Man every better free editor has this, like Notepad++, NetBeans, Komodo Edit…

PS check out this, watch the demo, it’s a great tool for the lazy :) http://docs.emmet.io/

You can also download Sublime Text for Linux if I am not mistaken

3673 posts Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says