• Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

I absolutely love Linux.. it’s like a fine wine, there are many types.. good ones, bad ones. Mac users also like linux, because after all they share a lot of DNA and a lot of the controls are already familiar.

Here are my favorite free ones:
  1. Mageia (robust OS, formerly Mandriva, formerly Mandrake)
  2. OpenSUSE (beautiful)
  3. Fedora (from RedHat)
  4. Ubuntu (lightweight)
There are a couple of essentials with each installation I do:
  • VirtualBox.. machines can be copied from machine to machine, so this is awesome to just copy my dev environment from my Windows machine, to my Mac or onto my Linux box.. and back again
  • Crossover Office.. not to be confused with Open Office, it’s used for installing and running Windows apps (even Photoshop) directly on the native Linux desktop.. Costs about $60 though
  • Chrome, Firefox, Opera (you won’t find Safari.. but you will find Konqueror, from which Safari was originally based ;)
  • ActiveState Komodo Edit.. great for coding php, css, js, html, etc.. its just awesome

The major difference between the operating systems is the way they install things.. I prefer the RPM style of Mageia and Fedora.. it’s a lot like Windows installations, you run a single file and tell it to install.. then it installs :)

Oh yeah, I forgot the Desktop managers.. you have Gnome (which is like Mac with a nice twist) and there is also KDE (which Windows users might prefer).. other desktop managers aren’t worth my time really, those are the 2 major ones and they completely control the way your desktop looks and acts.

Thanks for this Endat! I’m going to play with some of this over the weekend.

1466 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

I used Windows since like ever, and have moved to linux 2 months ago, no regrets.

It’s hard at first, cause some stuff is not as intuitive as in Windows, or does not work as splendid, but there are many more pluses. Not to mention the much better performance of lamp over wamp.

P.S I picked kubuntu due to similar looks to Windows. Windows window management is still the best though.

115 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bulgaria
Aether-Themes says

I used Windows since like ever, and have moved to linux 2 months ago, no regrets.

It’s hard at first, cause some stuff is not as intuitive as in Windows, or does not work as splendid, but there are many more pluses. Not to mention the much better performance of lamp over wamp.

P.S I picked kubuntu due to similar looks to Windows. Windows window management is still the best though.

Scratch the last part, mac os window management is the best, especially if you are using a trackpad. Mission control is priceless

1466 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

Scratch the last part, mac os window management is the best, especially if you are using a trackpad. Mission control is priceless

Can’t argue there, haven’t used mac os yet, though I hope to try it in the near future.

111 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Sandi says

this week I started to work with OpenSUSE :) well… looks nice, performs good, but sometimes difficult to switch from Windows, especially then using matlab.

189 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
+6 more
Crusader12 Reviewer says

I’ve had dual boot one of mine as well and just never find myself using it at all. Linux has seemed like it has had a ton of consumer level potential for ages, but just never seems to get there. :(

787 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • India
  • Beta Tester
laranz says

Recently I installed Windows 8 and Elementary OS. Well pretty much both are awesome. I planned to switch elementary OS for full time. :) Let’s try, that’s what my mind saying ;)

2957 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Yep Linux here as a main os for as long as I can remember. Love it. Phpstorm for dev. Tried quite a few distros, stuck on mint at the moment (after Ubuntu went crap recently). Don’t play games or use photoshop so it suits nicely.

3673 posts Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

looks nice, performs good, but sometimes difficult to switch from Windows especially then using matlab.

Just FYI: there’s an excellent open-source alternative in the form of Octave :)

by
by
by
by
by
by