1356 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

First of all, let’s not descend into flaming or calling out in here, I’ve opened this thread for a legitimate discussion about creating “Lite” (Less Functions) versions of themes.

I’ve tagged this thread for staff reply also, as I’m sure we’d love some input from staff on this topic.

Ok, so there’s a “Lite” version of a well selling theme currently on the front page, whilst I have no problem with this, I’d like to know if this “Double Dip” strategy is actually allowed, or whether this file has simply slipped through the net?

As I count I could add “Lite” versions of at least 2 of my current themes, possibly more in the future, if this is allowed then I’m going for it.

That said, the only thing that worries me about this is the potential for every full featured theme on here suddenly having two different uploaded versions, one “all singing and all dancing” and the other a bit more down to earth.

TL:DR Looking for some clarity here from Envato staff, and some decent discussion about the benefits / disadvantages of this for the marketplace.

480 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Located in United Kingdom
+3 more
FlatKing says

Well I’ve taken a look at both files and the “lite” version is exactly the same without woocommerce. Seems incredibly unfair

193 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+1 more
An-Themes says

^ +1. @TommusRhodus thanks for opening this thread!

195 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
GraphiTivity says

I think if the lite version is really a lite version say for example one parameter would be with some major performance tweaks so the load time is more than 50% to 100% faster than the fully loaded version it definitely should be allowed as some people would want to use the theme with just basic features.

1484 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

It’s a shame if this is allowed.

480 posts
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Located in United Kingdom
+3 more
FlatKing says

I think if the lite version is really a lite version say for example one parameter would be with some major performance tweaks so the load time is more than 50% to 100% faster than the fully loaded version it definitely should be allowed as some people would want to use the theme with just basic features.

Then the theme should be built well. SwiftIdeas latest theme is fully loaded with everything and it’s page speed is a high A (92%) – There is no excuse to create a “lite” version for more profit

181 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
HellasDesign says

I think that there is no problem with this. For example, there are buyers who want just a basic theme and buyers who want more features (e.g. WooCommerce) and they can pay for them.

So, “lite” version is for buyers who want just the basic features and “full” version is for buyers who want more.

3859 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
+1 more
charlie4282 says

As if there are not enough confused inexperienced buyers? Will they understand or even be bothered to read the difference? Personally if I can get Tom’s files cheaper it will save me a fortune so absolutely behind it!

More seriously he has a very valid point – less experienced buyers base a % of their decision on the cheaper option and it inevitably will damage sales of the full theme and has the potential to cause frustration or confusion and more hassle for authors trying to explain the difference..

As for load time – Flatking is absolutely right of course a theme without WooCommerce will load faster than one with, but if it is coded well then it should not make a major difference.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

This is not allowed – I already asked and got confirmation from Envato that an item, such as a wordpress theme without woo commerce could be accepted when one is already for sale with – the answer was clear – NO.

Looking forward to an official reply about this as I have my email here for backup.

Jonathan

485 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Austria
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
iHelp says

:ohrly:

…┬áthat’s ridiculous.

by
by