595 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

@ Cubell: totally agree with you. I would not have said it better.
I just want to add that I have never had a buyer asking for a lite version of any theme, because of the item price. My latest files all cost $55 USD and are Woocommerce compatible. Envato please don’t do this :S

29 posts Aim High
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
Studio164a says

LOL. Too funny. I get it now. You two are getting hung up on the word “same” literally. The mere fact that it’s no longer the “same” item anymore doesn’t suddenly exempt anyone’s account from it’s existing exclusivity state. “All” items approved on an exclusive account should be assumed to be exclusive unless officially told otherwise . There is simply no empirical evidence to support the alternative. This is unless you want to attempt to exploit a potentially non exisitant loophole or pretend that such an exception exists simply because it’s not expressly stated otherwise. For now, I’d just say let’s just agree to disagree until the powers that be step in to let us know what’s what with their definitive words. :-)
It makes sense to get “hung up on the word ‘same’ literally”, considering “sameness” is the only thing that restricts an author from selling the item elsewhere. The two basic rules of selling exclusively are:
1. You CAN sell other items on other sites, including your own.
2. You CANNOT sell the same items elsewhere.

Source: http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/116

With this change, Envato are stating that an existing theme that adds support for a plugin like Woocommerce can be sold as a separate item. If an author is permitted to sell it as a separate item here on Envato, shouldn’t they also be able to sell it outside of Envato instead?

Real-life example: There is a theme currently for sale in the WP ecommerce section with Woocommerce support; this same theme is also sold as a separate item with Jigoshop support. If that is permitted, then does that mean that any theme currently sold with Woocommerce support can be ported to a Jigoshop version and sold on Jigoshop’s site directly?

If not, why not?

Cheers, Eric

374 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
WPWiseOwl says

Ok. That’s certainly an understandable position. However, I chose to interpret the spirit of the words / rules differently regardless of the pure literal definitions. If one were to look in nearly any thesaurus and you’ll find that the word “technicality” is a synonym for “loophole”, “escape clause”, etc. Life’s too short to worry about such silly technicalities in my view. If I wanted to do that, I would have become a lawyer. LOL.

So, I’ve rewritten those rules to better illustrate how I saw them…

1. You CAN sell any item that’s not a derivative work of an already existing approved exclusive item from your own account on other sites.

2. You CANNOT sell derivative items of an already approved / for sale exclusive item from your account elsewhere.

Otherwise, the rules taken at their literal value are indeed far too generic. Adding additional clarifications to them would likely do wonders to help clear things up for folks. Hopefully that happens soon.

29 posts Aim High
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
Studio164a says

Ok. That’s certainly an understandable position. However, I choose to interpret the spirit of the words / rules differently regardless of the pure literal definitions. If one were to look in nearly any thesaurus and you’ll find that the word “technicality” is a synonym for “loophole”, “escape clause”, etc. Life’s too short to worry about such ridiculous technicalities in my view. If I wanted to do that, I would have become a lawyer. LOL.

1. You CAN sell any item that’s not a derivative work of an already existing approved exclusive item from your own account on other sites.

2. You CANNOT sell derivative items of an already approved / for sale exclusive item from your account elsewhere.

The rules you quote taken at their literal value are indeed far too generic. Adding additional verbiage to them would do wonders to help clarify things. Hopefully that happens soon.

OK, but then you have to define what you mean by a “derivative work”. How does this play for authors creating Magento / PrestaShop / OpenCart versions of their Woocommerce theme? Is that a derivative work? If not, why is a Jigoshop version of a Woocommerce theme a derivative, while an OpenCart version is not?

Another real life example: I know of at least one Ghost theme for which a Wordpress version has been created and is being sold elsewhere. Is that permitted?

Or to pull an example from our own portfolio: I have three plugins (Woocommerce / WP-ecommerce / Jigoshop) that add a new shipping method said e-commerce plugins. Am I permitted to sell one of those elsewhere?

These are not ridiculous technicalities. These are things which need to be clarified. No one wants to have their products pulled down by Envato because they’re breaking rules, but if those rules aren’t explicitly stated, how are authors supposed to know where they stand?

Cheers, Eric

140 posts moutheme
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
moutheme says

ok so this LITE version its added again in marketplace as i see…

72 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Ttpmc says

ok so this LITE version its added again in marketplace as i see…

Because it is allowed ;).

184 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+1 more
An-Themes says

3-2-1… Now let’s start to make the “lite” versions :D

1775 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Obviously. Whenever someone proves wrong, NOBODY comes to reply back. I said that 95% of who posted here is against this idea and we don’t want it. Now, who’s replying back from the staff? Nobody. I’m so dissapointed with the way Envato is doing stuff. Nobody wants your changes and you’re still pushing them. Tomorrow we might see 50% discounts for all the WP themes just because someone from the team thought it’s a great idea.

Isn’t that absolutely great? I wonder why do we waste our time saying anything when there’s soooooo obviously that they are not caring AT ALL about us. This thread proves it all. I mean, seriously, there wasn’t even a single author that a decent number of sales that approved to this, why in hell would you post a message saying it was “requested” by some of the authors and members? Okay, show me those members. Because all I can see are 10+ elite authors that are completely against this idea.

1481 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

You have got to be kidding me?? Really Envato? Wow. I can’t believe that this is allowed, but thanks for letting us know, you can now expect a flow of the old themes with removed features.

184 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+1 more
An-Themes says

Weekly Top Sellers:
1. Avada
2. Avada Lite
3. X
4. X Lite
5. lol and so on = omg! :D

edit: I need to stop losing my time in the forum, right now I will start to work hard on my “lite” versions :D

by
by
by
by
by
by