• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
mad_dog says

Some kind of misleading. One says it is allowed, another one disables the theme :) The truth is out there.

557 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Europe
Pirenko says

Some kind of misleading. One says it is allowed, another one disables the theme :) The truth is out there.
I just hope that the truth is that this is NOT allowed :(
491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
pixelentity says

Hi guys, thanks for your inquiry and sorry for the delay. I’ve just spoken to the review team and the answer is yes, you can submit an existing theme as a new theme adapted to the e-commerce category.

We contacted support once with the same enquiry and got the above answer as well.

1184 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+1 more
tommusrhodus says

Hi guys, thanks for your inquiry and sorry for the delay. I’ve just spoken to the review team and the answer is yes, you can submit an existing theme as a new theme adapted to the e-commerce category.
We contacted support once with the same enquiry and got the above answer as well.

@scottwills – can we get further clarity on this then? So for instance if I were to move Marble to the eCommerce category, then make a stripped down version, call it “Marble Lite” and then submit it to the portfolio category, this would be allowed?

I think we could do with full clarification as the the whole rules of multiple versions of the same design. Different platforms makes since, this multi-category setup seems a little confusing though!

EDIT: Marked for staff reply.

141 posts Designer & Developer
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
Webbu says

@scottwills – I read Envato says it is not allowed. But I asked this question to envato support in November 2013 below ticket. And this answer says If I have a theme without WooCommerce. I can release a WooCommerce version of it.

“Hi again Webbu,

That’s a great question! I can’t guarantee that you’ll be approved, but the word from our Senior TF Reviewer is that 2 versions of the same Theme are allowed, if one is enhanced for WooCommerce.

Might be worth referencing this ticket ID ( IXV-367-10888 ) in the Notes to Reviewer when making your WooCommerce submission.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Kind regards, Christian B “

And I think we need a clarity on this case. And If not allowed please somebody remove that approved themes. I already sent you one of them on my ticket.

EDIT: Marked for staff reply.

615 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Austria
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
Kriesi says

Not enough similar themes on the marketplace as it already is, hm? Lets allow people to submit real clones of their own templates, just with a modified feature set!

If you really want to allow this brace yourselves, because a shitload of already approved items is coming. Almost every theme nowadays supports 2 or 3 “big” plugins like Woocommerce, a template builder, wpml etc

I could create at least 1 “lite” version for each of my templates, for most of them even 2 or 3. Can only hope this is not what Envato wants…

1027 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
+5 more
Parallelus says

Not enough similar themes on the marketplace as it already is, hm? Lets allow people to submit real clones of their own templates, just with a modified feature set!

If you really want to allow this brace yourselves, because a shitload of already approved items is coming. Almost every theme nowadays supports 2 or 3 “big” plugins like Woocommerce, a template builder, wpml etc

I could create at least 1 “lite” version for each of my templates, for most of them even 2 or 3. Can only hope this is not what Envato wants…

Exactly.

181 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
HellasDesign says

I think that Envato Support means:

You can upload a theme/template in e.g. Blog/Magazine category and then release a second version of this theme which has the same design but it was built for eCommerce sites.

For example, it has “Advanced Integration” of WooCommerce plugin and focuses on eCommerce sites instead of the first version which focuses on Blog/Magazine sites.

253 posts Mad Dog
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
mad_dog says

I think that Envato Support means:

You can upload a theme/template in e.g. Blog/Magazine category and then release a second version of this theme which has the same design but it was built for eCommerce sites.

For example, it has “Advanced Integration” of WooCommerce plugin and focuses on eCommerce sites instead of the first version which focuses on Blog/Magazine sites.

Yes, but in this case I can simply make a home page as a shop items list page, change the color scheme. It will be a new style ecommerce theme :)

Entirely agree with Kriesi.

557 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Europe
Pirenko says

I think and hope that the support tickets that got that “yes, that is allowed” answer are less valuable than the item that was removed yesterday. This should mean that the current policy is NO to lite/heavy versions of existing files.
People are always complaining that the marketplace is saturated so pleeease let’s not go this way. Fingers crossed :S

by
by
by
by
by
by