1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

Yo Guys, I’m now familiar with ActiveDen and wanted to give ThemeForest a try. :)

I searched the envato wiki but didn’t find really anything on how to create the whole package for a wordpress theme preview. I also noticed that most of the live previews are hosted outside envato. So how is the whole thing working?

I also noticed the cuber rotator is pretty popular here and I’m thinking about building something similar. Any suggestions?

2450 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says

1. For WP Theme Previews – Just upload a zip of the theme folder – you know, index.php, single.php etc (don’t include documentation, PSD , etc) Currently ThemeForest just uses the demo URL you can specify at upload (thus, indeed, hosting the demo on your site).

2. I’d stay off of Cu3er, since it has been overused and it won’t have the effect on sales it initially had. You’d be better of with a jQuery slider in both sales and headaches needed to implement it in WP ;)

Whatcha working on? :D

444 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
TahaH-Studio says

For the theme preview part I suggest this plugin here. This plugin is for wordpress so you will have to have your own web server with wordpress installed on it to use this plugin.

So how is the whole thing working?
I think you provide them with the demo URL while submitting your theme.

2541 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says
So how is the whole thing working?
I think you provide them with the demo URL while submitting your theme.
Yup, there is an area for a URL . You also upload any files needed for a live preview in the case we ever implement that feature in the future :)
1661 posts
+9 more
flashedge says

Aww, you know bandwidth and server power is expensive. I guess shared hosting might not fit, considering the huge traffic envato will drive.

@digitalimpact: I won’t use cuber, I said something similar as I can built my own 3d slider. ;)

2541 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says
Aww, you know bandwidth and server power is expensive. I guess shared hosting might not fit, considering the huge traffic envato will drive. @digitalimpact: I won’t use cuber, I said something similar as I can built my own 3d slider. ;)
Shared hosting should be ok, you might hit some slow server times in the peak of your item time, but I’ve found a “slightly better than basic” shared hosting package does just fine. I’m not a huge powerseller though, so you may seek advice from others with more traffic than myself :) Best of luck to you!
2450 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says
Aww, you know bandwidth and server power is expensive. I guess shared hosting might not fit, considering the huge traffic envato will drive. @digitalimpact: I won’t use cuber, I said something similar as I can built my own 3d slider. ;)
Shared hosting should be ok, you might hit some slow server times in the peak of your item time, but I’ve found a “slightly better than basic” shared hosting package does just fine. I’m not a huge powerseller though, so you may seek advice from others with more traffic than myself :) Best of luck to you!

Yup, it all depends on how popular you are here.

For example, I only have 2 email templates for sale, so I’m a newbie author.

But those 2 items brought up to 200 uniques/day – and I’ve just started authoring…

I can imagine medium/top authors get thousands/day.

Maybe silver paws and up can share a little on this matter :)

342 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
reidknorr says

It really depends, but I’ve seen traffic jump to several thousands of hits and I’m on shared hosting. As far as I can tell the servers did just fine.

1661 posts
+9 more
flashedge says

Uhm, are referral links inside the live preview allowed?

741 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
Orbital_Themes says
Uhm, are referral links inside the live preview allowed?

You know, these are your files on your web server so I think you can do whatever you want with them :)

by
by
by
by
by
by