• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Bedros says

“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” – Einstein

+1 , I was waiting for this one , and was sure about that it will come from you , my Mayan Friend ;)

3393 posts Nice Guy
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says
Updating your own items
What should you do to update your own products? I recommend you look around for inspiration, and see how others have innovated while still maintaining a look that is in line with the current trend. Use your judgment when deciding how much you should follow the trend or build on top of it.

Am i understanding this right? You are suggesting we should update our items in order to reflect the new trend? As in .. uhm .. redesign? Sorry, my English is not that good :D

659 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+1 more
LCweb says

Between the “tiled” design of Win8 and the “flat” of iOS7 .. everything is gonna be too much “cheap” for my taste. I like the minimalism .. but this is a bit too much for me.

I think inserting only few flat elements in a theme/plugin layout are good :)

432 posts here for love
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • India
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+2 more
nCrafts says

Clean design looks good when you look at it for the first time – it’s because of our reflex reaction that clean is better. However, you would end up preferring a non-flat design over a longer period, because, once you have got used to all the shadows and curves, you end up liking it. The lack of cleanliness bothers you less.

I prefer going the mid-way between Metro and Apple’s skeuomorphism.

1660 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
flashedge says

I don’t like flat design. It feels like an excuse for rolling out bad stuff. Even Jony Ive is being mocked for what he did: http://jonyiveredesignsthings.tumblr.com/ Every designer should start with an identity study and build his own, unique style. Trends come and go, but a good design is forever.

152 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
partnuz says

That’s my opinion about flat design

4490 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Flat design reminds of webdesign in the late 90’s, but more with Flash sites.. most sites were designed in Freehand and exported to vectors, resulting in flat, yet scalable designs with large icons, buttons and simple yet well laid out typography. I guess with the way things are going with responsive designs, a return of this style was inevitable.

5726 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Clean design looks good when you look at it for the first time – it’s because of our reflex reaction that clean is better. However, you would end up preferring a non-flat design over a longer period, because, once you have got used to all the shadows and curves, you end up liking it. The lack of cleanliness bothers you less.

Exactly. Interface designs supposed to consider how a design reacts to human brain rather than assuming a flat design as simplest form. The flat design may save device memory and boost performance but it works opposite for human brain. Human brain doesn’t struggles to grasp the details like shadow, thickness and patterns while a flat design with inevitable abstract shapes can be painful for brain.

So with current level of technology, design trends supposed to utilize the benifits of technology to render more human friendly designs; not towards machine friendly – flat ones :D In my opinion, if a Flat design implemented for the sake of following trend, it doesn’t differ from over decorating something.

Again, we human beings are comfortable only as long as we have an environment of light and shadow with some thickness. Utilizing those physical properties on devices will just support our level of grasping.

226 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
+2 more
nickys says
Not everyone loves the new look, and Apple have already said the icons will be updated for the final release.

Did they? Where?

1017 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
+5 more
Parallelus says

Not everyone loves the new look, and Apple have already said the icons will be updated for the final release.
Did they? Where?

You might be right, this could be just rumor. I think it was the alternate icons that showed up on their website the day after and comments like the one below giving me this impression.

Many of the new icons were primarily designed by members of Apple’s marketing and communications department … there were multiple teams inside each group that were competing with various designs, leading to what some see as inconsistencies in icon design. Those may well be hammered out in days ahead. http://www.fastcodesign.com/1672819/who-designed-ios-7-s-icons-apple-s-marketing-department

I probably just said it wrong but should have double check this first.

by
by
by
by
by
by