GraphicRiver has grown quite a bit since launch—thanks to you guys! As the marketplace grows, it’s natural that the standards for acceptable quality and aesthetics will become more stringent. Our goal is to always continue our success for our authors and make GraphicRiver the top resource for premium graphic design files for our buyers. In order to do that, we’re instituting a significant increase in the standard for ALL GraphicRiver files.
Effective immediately, the GraphicRiver review team will be following a new, stringent policy on evaluating new items. Read on for details!
Why? Why Now?As I said before, we’ve grown! GraphicRiver launched in February, 2009. Since then, we’ve accepted nearly 18,000 files into our marketplace – that’s huge! To better serve our buyers and authors, it’s important that our quality standards grow with us. Raising the bar to allow only the best of the community’s work means that we’ll have a community to which authors and buyers want to keep coming back.
What’s this mean for my next file?We’re all aware that sometimes “good design” is hard to make sweeping generalizations on -even for professionals who have done this for decades! This is especially true when applied to the variety of files and design purposes we see on GraphicRiver. However, here’s a few things our reviewers will be evaluating:
- Attention to detail – If 95% of a file is well done, but there’s a badly done element—say the typography is off or one element of out a pack of 50 is poor – our eagle-eyed reviewers will reject it so it can be improved upon.
- Professional technique – Files will be expected to be presented and packaged in a polished way that is extremely useful to our buyers—that means excellent technique in the design itself. Also clearly labeled files, layers, elements, and instructions as needed.
- Unique value for trends – If you’re following a design trend that you’re seeing everywhere, then you’re going to need to set yourself apart from “just another [insert trend here].” That DOESN ’T mean we’re being anti-competitive and never allowing another [trend item here], it just means there’s high expectations. Items will be expected to be as good or better than the very best files with similar concepts.
- “Good Enough” ...isn’t! – This especially means that files which may have been acceptable in the past may be rejected. We’re doing a reboot on the reviewing side, and won’t be drawing comparisons to existing accepted files when considering new files. With the bar higher, a good-but-generic file may still be rejected.
Want some examples? Check out our popular files! While high sales isn’t the final say in aesthetics, there’s some plenty of examples of top notch items that top our sales week after week with great designs to show for it.
If you are rejected, don’t be discouraged! You’re welcome to request feedback from your reviewer by responding to the email notice. Just keep in mind that new standards mean that we won’t be comparing new submissions to previously accepted files. However, our reviewers are always glad to help authors with feedback!
What’s this mean for my existing files?Right now, we’re not removing any existing files. However, in the coming months, we’ll be planning some “Spring Cleaning” measures for existing files that meet a few requirements:
- Fall below our current quality standards.
- Have no or very few sales AND
- Have been on the marketplace for a year or more.
(Clarification: well done older files that have strong files are not at risk!)
Once we have tools in place, we’ll begin evaluating older files in light of performance and the new quality standards. Authors will be notified if their file needs to be retired, and authors will naturally have the option to improve and redesign a retired file for the future. I’ll let the community know as soon as we have more details on this process.
Thank You!We couldn’t make a jump like this without you. The feedback I’ve received from the community here on the forums demonstrates how invested our authors are in GraphicRiver and committing ourselves to the very best the design world has to offer. At the risk of sounding too sentimental, you guys continue to inspire me with your creative skill and willingness to push the status quo.
I’m really proud of the wonderful community of talented authors and fantastic files we have here. I know that committing the marketplace to an even higher caliber of design will make 2011 even better than 2010 for GraphicRiver authors. Thanks, guys!
This is amazing news! Thanks for listening to our kind of ‘call-up’, and thanks to the whole team!
Good point.This will be very interesting.
Once again, congratulations to all Authors & Staff who showed initiative and were involved in yet another great GraphicRiver upgrade. It makes me proud to see how concerned and responsive Envato is when it comes to providing its authors with continuous improvements and everlasting quality betterment. Always a pleasure to be part of a community were one talks, and the other listens.
This is great!
I am about to purchase my tut+ premium account and improve my designing skills!
I’m sure you meant:
Have been on the marketplace for a year or more
Have no or very few sales.