81 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
sillybarbarian says

I checked like 10 pages in a row and all of those logos have lack of quality, it lowers envato standards.

2075 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Hey guys,

I really appreciate all the constructive comments. That said, we need to tone down the personal attacks on fellow authors or we’ll have to lock the thread. Thanks for your understanding.

100 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Denmark
WillemoesDK says

@ LanceSnider

Can you please link to the Envato logo wiki, where it states it’s okay to submit a simple livetrace of a simple object, color it, add a standard font and submit it as a logo?

Because a logo just like this has been accepted.

Im just curious.

116 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
CordellC says

I saw a logo that said “fully layered PSD file.”

I just died inside. Please Envato don’t tarnish your name.. up the qualities and make it vector only.

2089 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Graphic-Studio says

DEVS :

Those new logo submissions are missig the mouse-over previews.

You probably know this already though.

431 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
john says

Thanks for the heads up – we’ve got a few small problems with thumbnail and hover previews, which we should have resolved friday at some point.

15 posts
  • Exclusive Author
gmdpickett says

Great conversation going on here – so I might as well through my two-cents in.

I agree with a few of the posts about the high quality of work on this site – some of the artists are simply amazing with what they can do in Illustrator and Photoshop and I can only hope to meet this level of quality some day with my work.

That being said though – I have to agree with Envato’s move to add logo design to their offerings. With other sites like 99 & the big tournament site pushing out hundreds of logos everyday it was bound to happen – it’s a logical step. I’ve thrown my hat in the ring and will see where it goes from here.

I have to admit that I was discouraged last year after submitting a few business card designs and getting them declined – still haven’t received an answer to the email I sent asking for clear feedback as to why they were declined – but feel that I can offer some great logos for the site.

I have quite a few designs that were declined from clients but are still great concepts and have been looking for a way to sell them.

Although I do understand where most of you are coming from with regards to the logo designs needing to be done in Vector format ( I design all of my client logos in Vector and supply them with full color, grayscale, white on black & black on white versions in .eps, .ai, .jpg, .gif & .png) I have also worked with clients that had their logos created with Photoshop in a large format ( between 1600 and 2000 px ) and didn’t have any issues with printing.

I do think that Envato should be offering a ‘buy out’ option for a few hundred dollars for clients that would like to purchase the logo – but maybe make this an option on logos that have not yet been purchased.

The best thing that I can say is the logo section is live and I can’t see it going anywhere – for those of you that don’t agree with it don’t submit – from a business standpoint thought, as a small business owner, I can’t blame the Envato team for taking this step. I also think that with the high caliber of work on the site they aren’t going allow less than adequate designs in.

30 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bulgaria
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Malchev says

I think the main problem with those who don’t like the logo category is more a semantic than something serious. You see – you don’t like logos being sold that cheap. But actually those are not logos in the way you understand it. Those are stock images, that until now some of you used to sell for 2$ or something. Now you sell them in the same way, for the same purpose for 30$ (and you can sell them many times – unlike real logos). But why Envato calls them LOGOS ? Well, because CLIENTS like that word. They know they are not buying a real logo, yet they prefer calling it that, instead of “shape” or something else. So ARTISTS – call that category – “SHAPES” or “SYMBOLS”(or something else that you like)… ENVATO STAFF – you call that category “LOGOS” (in the name of customers and sells) and let there be peace on Earth! :D

2089 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Graphic-Studio says
Malchev said
I think the main problem with those who don’t like the logo category is more a semantic than something serious. You see – you don’t like logos being sold that cheap. But actually those are not logos in the way you understand it. Those are stock images, that until now some of you used to sell for 2$ or something. Now you sell them in the same way, for the same purpose for 30$ (and you can sell them many times – unlike real logos). But why Envato calls them LOGOS ? Well, because CLIENTS like that word. They know they are not buying a real logo, yet they prefer calling it that, instead of “shape” or something else. So ARTISTS – call that category – “SHAPES” or “SYMBOLS”(or something else that you like)… ENVATO STAFF – you call that category “LOGOS” (in the name of customers and sells) and let there be peace on Earth! :D

So what you just said is this:

“Our clients want LOGOS , so let’s give then LOGOS !”

30 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bulgaria
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Malchev says

to Graphic-Studio…

No they don’t. Lets say you sell lemonade or ice cream during summer, and you want something printed on your stand along with your name. Do you really need a logo for 500$? No you don’t. You need something like it for 30$. So what if someone else have the same symbol. After all the summer is only 3-4 months and then you are closing the business. Some of you may not believe it, but there are millions of business like that. And they DON ’T need a real logo in the way most people understand it. They need just a SYMBOL , representing their product. It just so happens they call it logo. A matter of semantics.

by
by
by
by
by
by