43 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Renny says

Hello,

Im asking this question here as i find the community to be helpful in matters like this :)

Im looking at going back to college next year to do a Computer Science course, and so ive been looking at getting a laptop however Ive always been a Desktop user, but id like to be able to use my own laptop to do my work on at the college itself. When it comes to laptops i regret to say i dont really know whats good or bad (and yet ironically im going on a Computer Science course ha!)

I do do a fair amount of Web Design in my own time as well, i wouldn’t say ill be using it to play games. Looking at the course itself there isnt a high demand for graphics/rendering but that isnt to say i shouldnt have the power there incase i do need it, or at somepoint in the future need the processing power.

The only problem i find is that the majority of laptops ive seen are god-awful, lacking power or have the rather annoying tablet/laptop combination (Why are laptops trying to be Tablets?) Other then your high end gaming laptops/Apple MacBooks there just isnt anything out there that im able to come across that seem decent to invest in.

Chances are ill look at getting it on finance, On a slightly irrelevant point i could get an Alienware laptop on finance cheaper per month then an apple laptop. but then again anything is cheaper compared to apple.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance Renny And please dont post “get a desktop” its more powerful, can easily upgrade parts..etc etc as i already know all this :)

1243 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
SomethingDesign says

What budget you have for new laptop. Right now I have a this one http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G75VW/. It’s a dedicated gaming laptop but I used it to with 3D max, Cinema 4d, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign. This is the specification for it I upgraded to max http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G75VW/#specifications.

And is finance cheaper then Alienware at same power. :)

464 posts
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
styleWish says

macbook air is great and not that expensive

43 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+1 more
Renny says

What budget you have for new laptop. Right now I have a this one http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G75VW/. It’s a dedicated gaming laptop but I used it to with 3D max, Cinema 4d, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign. This is the specification for it I upgraded to max http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G75VW/#specifications. And is finance cheaper then Alienware at same power. :)

Ive never owned a Apple laptop/desktop, so i cant really say if theyre better at power or not some people say theyre awesome some say theyre overpriced and rubbish. But thank you i will have a look in to the one you suggested

And as for MacBook Air i might nip to my local PCworld and have a bit of a handson

1176 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

Go for ASUS. I personally love all ASUS products. I have a K55V( http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K55VD/#specifications ) i5 2.5-3.1Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 500HDD, 2Gb Video Nvidia 610M. Works great, is fast, lightweight, has a beautifull design and good for everything from programming, design to gaming.
The battery life:
best performance, brightness 100%, Wifi on – 4 hours
batery saving mode, brightness 40-45%, Wifi on ~ 6 hours(without Wifi 6 hours+)

I recommend ASUS because IMO it’s one of the best and that’s the review of my computer. :)

292 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in India
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
ideastools says

For rendering purpose focus on the better processor might be good choice and i love mac books they are better and cool :)

4322 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

Macbook Pro or Macbook Air, I’ve never been disappointed in purchasing mine. Always lightning fast! :)

Oops, I broke the forum!

213 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+2 more
h2theme says

Macbook Pro or Macbook Air, I’ve never been disappointed in purchasing mine. Always lightning fast! :)

+1 . New mackbook pro with retina display is the best !

1243 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
SomethingDesign says

Mac book is lightning fast if you use it for webdesign and coding work. For print, 3D, render and composting is lightning slow :) pity they have only 16GB ram memory max. And OSX always had a poor memory management. And not to mention about the price.

4322 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

Mac book is lightning fast if you use it for webdesign and coding work. For print, 3D, render and composting is lightning slow :) pity they have only 16GB ram memory max. And OSX always had a poor memory management. And not to mention about the price.

Uhm? One word! Mavericks! It kills absolutely every computer OS I’ve put my hands on, and no offence, I have a desktop computer, high end, it’s dying, my MacBook is older than my computer… still working perfectly! Hardware and software wise, Apple have expensive stuff but it’s of higher quality! I’ve personally shared your opinion until I purchased one!

by
by
by
by
by
by