3 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • United Kingdom
ThemeBurner says

I think 50/50 is fair enough (we are Developers) as Design is the major sale reason of a theme. I would say more than 80% of the item success.

Just my thougths. Bests everyone!

95 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
Deriggs007 says

I’d say it’s 50/50 because as a designer/programmer they both can take a good while to do. Yes, programming does take longer to do, but you also have to be more unique to be a designer. As long as you can write valid code, you can do it for nearly any site. Same can’t be said about designing.

That’s all

122 posts
  • Exclusive Author
BrianHermelijn says

In some way I believe that we’re taking designing for granted here. Just because it’s merely a designing doesn’t mean that the profit can’t be 50/50. Although it’s a matter of how many files and variety of options that you could design instead of repeating the same mistake.

Although as I designer I believe that we should be able to provide at least the HTML /CSS structure since it’s easy to code and what not.

But if I were a developer I would go with the 50/50 option only if the PSD file has some sort of niche feeling to it.

320 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Malaysia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
billyf says

... I would go with the 50/50 option only if the PSD file has some sort of niche feeling to it.
I have to agree with this. Unfortunately, the layout looks like majority of the items being sold here and I personally think that it’s quite difficult to find someone willing to take a 50/50 share on this template (especially if you are talking about a WordPress theme).

A more realistic share would be (the lesser share is for the PSD template maker):

• HTML : 60/40
  • WordPress : 80/20

But then, I am being very generous here because assuming you can sell the HTML template at $15 and WordPress theme at $40, the PSD template maker would get $6 for each HTML template and $8 for each WordPress theme sold (see how he earns almost the same as when he’s selling his PSD template only? A PSD template is usually around $10 or less).

Since WordPress themes take more time to develop and can generally generate more sales, I don’t see any problem if the share of profit for the PSD maker is further reduced to only 10%, since he doesn’t have to provide any support / do anything after the template is done.

PS : I’m just voicing out my opinion on this matter. It’s just a general statement applicable to such situation in the future, not directed at this case.

1578 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

If 50-50 is fair for PSD , then what’s the fair split for PSD + HTML vs WP? A WP dev should probably take like 30-35% while the designer 65-70? You’re probably kidding, right? Months of support means nothing, you finish a PSD in like 1-2 months and expect to make like thousands of dollars by just sitting at the desk, while the dev has to work at least 1-2 hours everyday for support + the time it takes to actually develop it, which is longer than the designing process.

245 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
PersianArt says

I think it is easy to solve this problem. the average of good html price is $15 and wp is $45.

it means 33%-67%, and due to wp sale more than html, the 30%-70% is very fair for both them. now when you say about psd you must division 30% to 20%-10% for psd-html then you get 80%-20% in final.

this will be justly, isn’t it?

the psd/html worker must know when his work convert to wp, his sale increase manifold and really must not worry about this percent.

1021 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • United States
fillerspace says

Design is the major sale reason of a theme. I would say more than 80% of the item success.

Yes and No. True, I may buy a BMW because it is a beautiful car, but the real reason is that it gets me from point A to point B reliably and comfortably, and all maintenance is included. I may buy a particular theme over another because I like the design, but it is the functionality and support that I’m really buying.

23 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • France
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
DoubleMThemes says

Design is the major sale reason of a theme. I would say more than 80% of the item success.
Yes and No. True, I may buy a BMW because it is a beautiful car, but the real reason is that it gets me from point A to point B reliably and comfortably, and all maintenance is included. I may buy a particular theme over another because I like the design, but it is the functionality and support that I’m really buying.

And how about if there are +1500 BMW on ThemeForest marketplace, all priced $40 – $45, let’s say 30% of them with AWESOME support service, and even 20 from the same author… wich BMW you get?

The prettiest :)

10 posts
  • Bulgaria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
leanonzero says

Everyone should be able to come to some sort of agreement, I have people emailing me all kinds of numbers. 60/40 is most common, some people are even willing to split 50/50 so I mean it just depends on the situation like I said.

Anyway I believe I do not need anyone for HTML version anymore, but I am still going back and fourth with a couple people for the WP version. I am a very reasonable guy, if support becomes too much I would be willing to increase your share of course, as well as I would be glad to help with the project (extra pages anything like that) feel free to contact me!

I actually just created a Skype I would much rather have you contact me on there and we can discuss the matter (the whole emailing back and fourth I’m not too fond of anymore lol) feel free to send over your Skype name through my profile and I’ll add you! Thanks fellas :)

11 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
yourwebheroes says

My two cents to this conversation although a bit late. I had a similar issue a while ago and what I think works better is the following:

Since the designer creates one time the psd and has no work when support is needed it is more fair to have money as fast as possible, not wait with 10-20% forever.

On the other hand, developers need to have bigger long term benefits as they do the support. So my solution is:

50-50 till the income from the theme is up to an X.XXX amount of money (lets say when each has made 2.500$?). Then the sharing drops to 90%-10%.

That seems fair to me, what do you think?

by
by
by
by
by
by