10 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Bulgaria
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
leanonzero says

My two cents to this conversation although a bit late. I had a similar issue a while ago and what I think works better is the following:

Since the designer creates one time the psd and has no work when support is needed it is more fair to have money as fast as possible, not wait with 10-20% forever.

On the other hand, developers need to have bigger long term benefits as they do the support. So my solution is:

50-50 till the income from the theme is up to an X.XXX amount of money (lets say when each has made 2.500$?). Then the sharing drops to 90%-10%.

That seems fair to me, what do you think?

This is actually what I proposed to some of the developer, some think its quite reasonable for example if support becomes more than set amount of hours each day then increase developers share.

SnoopyIndustries
SnoopyIndustries Recent Posts Threads Started
367 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
SnoopyIndustries says

+1 to that.

I think that there should be more threads on this topics. Designers need to learn that while the design holds a huge importance when it comes to create sales, developing a responsive HTML takes at least twice as much as the PSD design does, the development of the WP version takes the same amount of time all over again, and as @FinalDestiny said, hours of support are needed weekly, especially when you reach a certain level here on the marketplace.

2115 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
fifty_tons says

... I would go with the 50/50 option only if the PSD file has some sort of niche feeling to it.
I have to agree with this. Unfortunately, the layout looks like majority of the items being sold here and I personally think that it’s quite difficult to find someone willing to take a 50/50 share on this template (especially if you are talking about a WordPress theme).

A more realistic share would be (the lesser share is for the PSD template maker):

• HTML : 60/40
  • WordPress : 80/20

But then, I am being very generous here because assuming you can sell the HTML template at $15 and WordPress theme at $40, the PSD template maker would get $6 for each HTML template and $8 for each WordPress theme sold (see how he earns almost the same as when he’s selling his PSD template only? A PSD template is usually around $10 or less).

Since WordPress themes take more time to develop and can generally generate more sales, I don’t see any problem if the share of profit for the PSD maker is further reduced to only 10%, since he doesn’t have to provide any support / do anything after the template is done.

PS : I’m just voicing out my opinion on this matter. It’s just a general statement applicable to such situation in the future, not directed at this case.

1. Make really ugly design
2. Code Wordpress version
3. Wait for approval
4. Rethink percentages

It’s amazing how some people think that it’s only the coding that actually sells themes. If that would be so, 90% of the themes that are approved would be best sellers.

@billyf: What would you rather do: give 50% to a good designer and make 10k a month, or give 10% to a bad designer and make 100 bucks a month?

1312 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
LGLab says

I see lots of very well coded templates on TF, but most don’t sell much, so what makes a template sell a lot, the beauty of the code? :D

357 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+1 more
billyf says

It’s amazing how some people think that it’s only the coding that actually sells themes. If that would be so, 90% of the themes that are approved would be best sellers. @billyf: What would you rather do: give 50% to a good designer and make 10k a month, or give 10% to a bad designer and make 100 bucks a month?
Of course coding is not the only thing that actually sells a theme, but I am just giving the share of profit based on what Envato gives you (in fact, I’m being more generous than Envato). You don’t see a PSD template being sold at $20, so I don’t see how it is justifiable that the coder who helps you to sell your PSD template should give you so much more than what Envato gives you (50/50 instead of 80/20 or 70/30 for a WordPress theme).

Of course, the ‘partnership’ can’t happen if one party doesn’t like the work done by another party. I don’t think anyone would simply want to invest the time in coding for an ugly PSD template and expect little sales.

PS : By the way, I am not saying that the following theme is ugly, but it seems to sell because it has the features (done by coding) and popularity : U-Design. I’m sure a lot of newer themes look much better than it but can’t sell as much as it does, so buyers do not only look at design, but the features (done by coding) does play a major role. At least, that’s the case for my themes.

122 posts
BrianHermelijn says

It’s amazing how some people think that it’s only the coding that actually sells themes. If that would be so, 90% of the themes that are approved would be best sellers. @billyf: What would you rather do: give 50% to a good designer and make 10k a month, or give 10% to a bad designer and make 100 bucks a month?
Of course coding is not the only thing that actually sells a theme, but I am just giving the share of profit based on what Envato gives you (in fact, I’m being more generous than Envato). You don’t see a PSD template being sold at $20, so I don’t see how it is justifiable that the coder who helps you to sell your PSD template should give you so much more than what Envato gives you (50/50 instead of 80/20 or 70/30 for a WordPress theme).

Of course, the ‘partnership’ can’t happen if one party doesn’t like the work done by another party. I don’t think anyone would simply want to invest the time in coding for an ugly PSD template and expect little sales.

PS : By the way, I am not saying that the following theme is ugly, but it seems to sell because it has the features (done by coding) and popularity : U-Design. I’m sure a lot of newer themes look much better than it but can’t sell as much as it does, so buyers do not only look at design, but the features (done by coding) does play a major role. At least, that’s the case for my themes.

Another major factor in this is the features that you can achieve with such and such theme. While there are new themes that may look exactly or at least copied a few elements of any top rated items, what matters is the features you get from that theme. So any kind of long term top rated theme continues to update their theme (I believe) which means more feature for that theme and more sales and less sales for the newer ones since they do not provide the same feature or at least an exceeding amount of feature for their themes.

But then again that’s merely based on my own opinion. Each individual sees it differently after all.

39 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
tvdathemes says

90/10? 70/30? ))) I think that the shares should be divided 50/50. Template without good design does not get good sales.

1792 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Yea sure, the designer of a car should get 50% of the selling price just because it’s the design that matters… Are you kidding me? Really? Design may be the first thing to consider, but in the long-run the code matters even more(because of obvious reasons: customizing the theme, the number of bugs, how hard it is to add new features, etc), the design stays the same.

So, design fanboys, keep waiting for 50/50 and an awesome programmer to code all your PSD ’s and offer support for months while you drink beer and watch TV after 3 weeks of work.

734 posts fifty_tons and CodingJack
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
50andJACK says

Yea sure, the designer of a car should get 50% of the selling price just because it’s the design that matters… Are you kidding me? Really? Design may be the first thing to consider, but in the long-run the code matters even more(because of obvious reasons: customizing the theme, the number of bugs, how hard it is to add new features, etc), the design stays the same. So, design fanboys, keep waiting for 50/50 and an awesome programmer to code all your PSD ’s and offer support for months while you drink beer and watch TV after 3 weeks of work.

Sometimes I post on the forums, but after I do that I wonder why the hell did I do it? :)

1186 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

Yea sure, the designer of a car should get 50% of the selling price just because it’s the design that matters… Are you kidding me? Really? Design may be the first thing to consider, but in the long-run the code matters even more(because of obvious reasons: customizing the theme, the number of bugs, how hard it is to add new features, etc), the design stays the same. So, design fanboys, keep waiting for 50/50 and an awesome programmer to code all your PSD ’s and offer support for months while you drink beer and watch TV after 3 weeks of work.
Sometimes I post on the forums, but after I do that I wonder why the hell did I do it? :)
So true! +1 :)
by
by
by
by
by
by