• Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Hey guys!

I’ve been looking for a new internal hard drive (around 500gb or less) to replace my 2 older ones which seem to be slowing down my entire system (oh, and I need a reason to re-install Windows) and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with good (and bad) hard drives. There are so many models out there, I’m not sure which is better because reviews tend to be both great and terrible, which doesn’t help.

962 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
webdesigndeluxe says

Seagate is a trusted brand. I have a 1.5 TB internal. I love it!

87 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
Aaron_Osteraas says

You may as well get a 1.5tb or 2tb. They’re both such amazing value for money (even in australia) you’d be silly to get anything smaller.

Otherwise, just get a seagate or western digital, and you’ll be fine.

738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

I swear by Western Digital’s. I’ve used them all my life, and even the ones from extremely long ago still work just like new.

Here is a

158 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
furto says

If it is speed you are looking for you might want to withdraw all your themeforest earnings and get a small loan to get yourself a solid state drive (SSD). Theyre probably still a bit expensive though :P

738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says
If it is speed you are looking for you might want to withdraw all your themeforest earnings and get a small loan to get yourself a solid state drive (SSD). Theyre probably still a bit expensive though :P

They haven’t really dropped enough in price IMO to account for the speed difference. You can get a boot + high priority software drive (~30GB) for around $100 though.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Thanks guys! I’m not sure if SSD ’s are worth the investment at this point. I think I’m going to get either a 500gb or 640gb because 1TB+ is just too much. I’ve been running on 80gb (pretty embarrassing) for quite a few years and never felt the need to remove anything, especially since I have a 260gb Seagate external HDD . After running Win7 since the Beta though, I feel the HDD is a bottleneck since it takes ~5 minutes to move 100mb of data. Although the price point is indeed very tempting, it’s just overkill to spend twice the money for space I will literally never use.

629 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
VagrantRadio says

I have all Seagate drives, one 500gb and two 1T in a HTPC , all are the best I’ve ever had and not too expensive.

738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says
Thanks guys! I’m not sure if SSD ’s are worth the investment at this point. I think I’m going to get either a 500gb or 640gb because 1TB+ is just too much. I’ve been running on 80gb (pretty embarrassing) for quite a few years and never felt the need to remove anything, especially since I have a 260gb Seagate external HDD . After running Win7 since the Beta though, I feel the HDD is a bottleneck since it takes ~5 minutes to move 100mb of data. Although the price point is indeed very tempting, it’s just overkill to spend twice the money for space I will literally never use.

I don’t blame you. I can understand why somebody would need it if they backed up a lot of movies or did video editing, but with web design the sizes are minute and while a 1TB drive is extremely ‘cheap’ considering the space, I’d never get more than 640GB. 640GB is definitely the sweet spot if you ask me in regards to what you get vs. what you pay.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
I don’t blame you. I can understand why somebody would need it if they backed up a lot of movies or did video editing, but with web design the sizes are minute and while a 1TB drive is extremely ‘cheap’ considering the space, I’d never get more than 640GB. 640GB is definitely the sweet spot if you ask me in regards to what you get vs. what you pay.

640gb WD Caviar Black that you linked to in this thread is what I’m going to order in the next couple of days. Except Amazon has it for $5 cheaper so I’m going to order it there instead of NewEgg.

Thanks for your help, Jar! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by