738 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

No problem. Just an FYI though, the Newegg one has free shipping, so if Amazon doesn’t it’s probably cheaper.

1475 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
No problem. Just an FYI though, the Newegg one has free shipping, so if Amazon doesn’t it’s probably cheaper.

Amazon also has free shipping on orders of $25+ and I’ve had some great experiences with Amazon before where shipping only took 2-3 days (including processing).

738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

Newegg usually has good shipping as well, but hey if it’s cheaper then go for it.

87 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Aaron_Osteraas says
it’s just overkill to spend twice the money for space I will literally never use.

Never say never ;) You’d be surprised on what you find to put on a hard drive when you have the space.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

I swear by the Western Digital VelociRaptor drives. They’re as close to an enterprise quality drive you can get without actually going enterprise, meaning you get fantastic speed and top notch reliability. They also just revamped them, increasing performance by ~30% overall and doubling their storage space.

If you don’t go with an SSD , the WD VelociRaptor will be the next fastest drive. I’m running the previous generation VelociRaptor, a 150GB model in my iMac and the speed increase was fantastic! (Twice as fast as the stock HDD ) The new ones are even faster so I really want to upgrade. By the way, these are the only consumer HDDs that run at 10K RPMs.

$280 at Newegg.com for the 600GB, new model

I think there’s also supposed to be a 300GB revamped model with the performance increase, which should be a decent amount cheaper but I haven’t looked into where to get it.

738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says
I swear by the Western Digital VelociRaptor drives. They’re as close to an enterprise quality drive you can get without actually going enterprise, meaning you get fantastic speed and top notch reliability. They also just revamped them, increasing performance by ~30% overall and doubling their storage space.

If you don’t go with an SSD , the WD VelociRaptor will be the next fastest drive. I’m running the previous generation VelociRaptor, a 150GB model in my iMac and the speed increase was fantastic! (Twice as fast as the stock HDD ) The new ones are even faster so I really want to upgrade. By the way, these are the only consumer HDDs that run at 10K RPMs.

$280 at Newegg.com for the 600GB, new model

I think there’s also supposed to be a 300GB revamped model with the performance increase, which should be a decent amount cheaper but I haven’t looked into where to get it.

How much faster would you say it is with just the boot times? I’ll probably be getting 2 ~300GB Velociraptors and running them in RAID0 . That’ll be intense! :D

Edit: Looks like I’ll have to wait for a 32MB cache update version though. Oh well, I’m not starting another build for a while anyway. Maybe by the time I do I can just get a SSD .

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says
How much faster would you say it is with just the boot times? I’ll probably be getting 2 ~300GB Velociraptors and running them in RAID0 . That’ll be intense! :D Edit: Looks like I’ll have to wait for a 32MB cache update version though. Oh well, I’m not starting another build for a while anyway. Maybe by the time I do I can just get a SSD .

On the older model (the one I have), it knocked my boot times down by almost half. So the new drives should be noticeably faster. While SSDs are really fast, they do have more lifetime issues you might take into account. Google “SSD Performance Degradation” for more info. Running 2x VelociRaptor’s in RAID is crazy fast. Back when the original Raptors came out, this was the hot thing to do and it was super fast then, crazy fast now.

You’d be looking at a throughput of 300MB/s+ max., and ~200MB/s min. Not only that but they also have the fastest access times of any consumer level HDD buy almost 2x.

Checkout http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd6000hlhx-velociraptor-600gb,2600.html for a good review.

When you compare the performance, price and longevity of the Velociraptor to SSDs, it’s still a winner in my books. At least for the time being.

With that said, access times on a good SSD will always smash a HDD . But access times aren’t everything. In terms of data throughput, 2x VelociRaptors (new model) will be a top performer, even among SSDs. You’re also going to get a better price per GB and longer lifetime out of the drives, so you’ll spend much less.

Anyway, just my two cents. ;)

Edit: It looks like the smaller size option in the new model VelociRaptor is 450GB. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=822

by
by
by
by
by
by