2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
AudioRox says

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong area, but as a new user, I couldn’t really figure out the forum system here (I tried, maybe I’m an idiot). I did want to ask for an opinion on these message boards due to the apparent abundance of skill that’s available here.

So here we go…

I’m wanting to start putting Wordpress together for clients using premium themes and premium plugins. I’ve had plenty of people approach me and ask me to do work for them. I’ve built tons of Wordpress sites for myself with trying to be an internet affiliate marketer. So, I’m extremely familar with how Wordpress works and how to properly organize features that I need.

Here’s my issue: I can’t intelligently code in php or intelligently design from scratch. Could I take the time to learn? Sure. I have tried before, but I didn’t stick with it. I’m just not at the level where I can design plugins or take a .PSD and break it down into a clean CSS structure.

I am, however, very familiar with: - All aspects of HTML and CSS - PHP (I can read and understand it fairly well, and make adjustments to existing code) - SQL and databases - Photoshop and editing images

What would you call me if I buy themes and plugins for clients, make small adjustments here and there if necessary, and put it together for them? Why not use the vast resources and great work that is already out there?

Honestly, a lot of these people that I’d do business with have no idea how to buy a domain, get their site hosted, or take the time needed to learn Wordpress (which does have its own learning curve).

I also have good customer service, networking, and business skills. I also used to teach adults for a financial firm, so I can offer effective training. I just feel like I have more than enough skill to put quality websites together for people.

Any opinions on this would be great!

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

What is your question ?

2 posts
AudioRox says

Could I viably do this? Or would/should I have to learn more. I feel like there are developers… and then there are designers. I’m having a hard time finding examples of people who would do exactly what I would do.

2281 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Hi and welcome!

Yes this is exactly what the majority of buyers of these files do – they show clients screen shots of themes from here and say we can change the colors, images and logos and put your content in for you and set things up for $xxx – they then buy a single license for the chosen theme and set it up and there you go.

Just remember it’s one regular license per domain and your golden :)

Hope that helps you out

Jonathan

639 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Crakken says

What is your question ?

You got the point! :D

Could I viably do this? Or would/should I have to learn more. I feel like there are developers… and then there are designers. I’m having a hard time finding examples of people who would do exactly what I would do.
Jonathan01 is right. One regular license/domain unless you purchase the extended license. BTW : Any thread posted to the Global Off Topic is good the others are if you want to make the thread more specific. ;)
5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

For the OP.

I consider myself proficient, i would rate my ability at circa 20% for most web directives. In terms of skill. To my clients they probably think thats more like 80%+ one woud hope.

My point is tho, in the last two years i have learnt more than the previous 14 years.. So this to me means….

You never ever stop learning, refining improving…so if you have bugger all to start with, then get learning cos the world is your clam.

Or was the Oyster ? ;)

941 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+3 more
graphicmind says

What would you call me if I buy themes and plugins for clients, make small adjustments here and there if necessary, and put it together for them?

Theme and plugin setter-upper or theme and plugin customizer.

by
by
by
by
by
by