22 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
awesome_man says

hi, i am an art director, i can help you with your design please get in touch with me if your would be interested.

mail me at : meadam [dot] 1 [at] gmail [dot] com.

regards adam

491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+3 more
pixelentity says

You can create a PSD which would be accepted on TF within about 1 week.

To convert that to a responsive HTML template (assuming some custom js is also needed) would take 2-3 weeks. To convert that to a TF standard Wordpress theme which has some chance of competing, would take a further 2-3 weeks. This is not taking into account the time the developer has to invest in building a WP framework, writing extensive documentation, completing demo content, supporting the theme throughout its selling life span etc etc.

From my experience providing the PSD only is about 10-15% or less of the overall work required, hence a 50/50 split is unrealistic.

We are a team. Myself and my partner split things 50/50. I do all design, HTML , CSS, Documentation, Demo Content, Support and marketing/promotion. While my partner does JS, WP, Server Admin and Support. In our experience, this split up of the work warrants a 50/50 split of earnings, anything else wouldn’t.

DOK

6 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Beaker_Studio says

Pixelentity, thank you. Finally someone who understands all the work that goes into making a template functional.

To everyone else: I’m not trying to be insulting with my offer, it’s just that I don’t currently have enough cash to pay much more. I simply noticed that a lot of PSD designers weren’t making much money, so I thought an offer like this could actually be beneficial for some designers. Also, like I said before, I would be willing to discuss a fair profit split.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Good design is talent. Good development is practice.

Guess which is more readily available?

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Beaker_Studio says

Good design is talent. Good development is practice. Guess which is more readily available?

To be great at either requires both. Arguing that either one takes more talent or devotion is close-minded at best.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

...close-minded at best.

Good luck with your search. I’ll be waiting to see how it turns out.

529 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Estonia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
kriskorn says

If you are not willing to put money into your design, then you’ll get nothing out of it. In fact, it won’t even get accepted. Design is the first thing that gets the buyer and reviewers attention, if this isn’t up to par, then you just won’t get very far.

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Beaker_Studio says

If you are not willing to put money into your design, then you’ll get nothing out of it. In fact, it won’t even get accepted. Design is the first thing that gets the buyer and reviewers attention, if this isn’t up to par, then you just won’t get very far.

The thing is that I am willing to put money into the design, but I’m not presently in a financial position to do so. I totally believe that designers should be compensated fairly for their hard work. If I had the money to do so, then I would be more than willing to put down $1000+ for a good design, but I just can’t do that at the moment. If nobody takes me up on my offer, then I’ll just continue doing my regular contracting work, and maybe look into the template side-business again at a later date.

88 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
marcopolo488 says

I think the way you should be going about is make a profit splitting partnership offer right off the bat. That way your financial position would be irrelevant. Also, you’d get a lot more designers than you would for your present offer.

By the way, those of you that come down hard on designers, remember the designer has to keep coming up with original stuff every design he/she does, whereas the coder keeps doing the same thing again and again. I’m not saying coding isn’t difficult, but it just isn’t the rocket science some developers try to make it look like.

491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
pixelentity says

I think the way you should be going about is make a profit splitting partnership offer right off the bat. That way your financial position would be irrelevant. Also, you’d get a lot more designers than you would for your present offer.

I would be inclined to agree that this is the best way to get going with developeing from TF.

By the way, those of you that come down hard on designers, remember the designer has to keep coming up with original stuff every design he/she does, whereas the coder keeps doing the same thing again and again. I’m not saying coding isn’t difficult, but it just isn’t the rocket science some developers try to make it look like.

In my previous post, I wasn’t coming down hard on designers, being more of a designer myself, I was only referring to the fair split up of work/earnings based on my experience of collaboartion here on TF. I would disagree however that designing for TF, one needs to come up with original stuff on a constant basis, this imo is not true. Infact being original on TF is generaly more a recipe for disaster then for success. The vast majority of designs which are selling well here on TF are not original and have very little originality about them. Of course I’m not saying that creating them is easy of requires no skill, it does.

But from a pure “design” only point of view, you can’t compare it with say the task facing a creative director of a design firm who has lots of big clients,. These guys really have to come up with original stuff on a continuous basis. Now that would be a hard job.

DOK

by
by
by
by
by
by