88 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
marcopolo488 says

In my previous post, I wasn’t coming down hard on designers, being more of a designer myself, I was only referring to the fair split up of work/earnings based on my experience of collaboartion here on TF. I would disagree however that designing for TF, one needs to come up with original stuff on a constant basis, this imo is not true. Infact being original on TF is generaly more a recipe for disaster then for success. The vast majority of designs which are selling well here on TF are not original and have very little originality about them. Of course I’m not saying that creating them is easy of requires no skill, it does.

But from a pure “design” only point of view, you can’t compare it with say the task facing a creative director of a design firm who has lots of big clients,. These guys really have to come up with original stuff on a continuous basis. Now that would be a hard job.

DOK

I wasn’t being hard on your post in particular, actually; I was just referring to the attitude that I’ve seen a few developers in the TF forums have who talk like coding requires major un-aquirable out of this world skills.

And yes, you’re right, you don’t need to be very original when creating themes for TF, but you constantly have to come up with fairly new and unique stuff if you want to make decent sales(pathetically though, I’m beginning to see that changing here on TF). I think it’s ok to borrow ideas – I borrow ideas sometimes, but a clear and consistent difference should be maintained.

By the way, I’m not hating on developers of course, and I being a designer, would always appreciate a good developer. And I recognize how tiresome development and support can be.

21 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
OTallu says

Designing is creativity! i am a developer and i agree 50/50 for designer and developer even if a designer creates PSD in one day and developer converts in one month.

88 posts
marcopolo488 says

Designing is creativity! i am a developer and i agree 50/50 for designer and developer even if a designer creates PSD in one day and developer converts in one month.

Maybe you should talk to me. :)

6 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Beaker_Studio says

Any developer willing to work under those terms is more than a little desperate… And possibly not very good. I’m not saying that you personally aren’t a good software developer, but the only people willing to work under conditions like that are generally pretty inexperienced.

113 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
ragzor says

Don’t get me wrong But you mean to say that 10 hours for a designer is equal to idk lets say 30 hours? for a developer. Yes designing is creativity and is a very hard job to come up with something which is unique enough for themeforest. but the fact that the developer puts in more hours than a designer on a theme and then updating and/or supporting the theme should be considered as well.

88 posts
marcopolo488 says

60% for the dev and 40 for the designer.

2203 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

Beaker_Studio Hey I am interested. Check out my portfolio. I can do just PSD designs for $500 for each template. Also to keep in mind 50/50 is a fair split when it comes to design and coding a template with a teammate. Also you can pay for each design but for something that is good you won’t get it cheaper than 5 bills. Anyhow if you want to team up i am game. if you code already made html themes like the ones i have to WP than that’s cool too. Check out my portfolio and then get back to me and let me know how you decide.

Cheers

Lester

1506 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

here we go again :P Design is not subjected to how many hours you work on it. It is an idea that matters.

68 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
vazz says

It would be so great if 2 authors could officially team up for a specific theme while Envato would share 50% 50% of sales directly to their accounts. I’ve thought about it, I would team up with a Wordpress developer for my HTML themes because I have no time to code them, but I don’t know how to do it safely. Being an online environment, it’s a bit risky. Who would upload the item to themeforest, me or them? If it’s them, how am I sure that 50% of the sales will be transferred to me? If only Envato would offer this possibility for co-authors to team up and share the sales directly… Who knows, maybe in future?

88 posts
marcopolo488 says

It would be so great if 2 authors could officially team up for a specific theme while Envato would share 50% 50% of sales directly to their accounts. I’ve thought about it, I would team up with a Wordpress developer for my HTML themes because I have no time to code them, but I don’t know how to do it safely. Being an online environment, it’s a bit risky. Who would upload the item to themeforest, me or them? If it’s them, how am I sure that 50% of the sales will be transferred to me? If only Envato would offer this possibility for co-authors to team up and share the sales directly… Who knows, maybe in future?

Envato has got a great system in place already. Although, imo they should have implemented a profit sharing mechanism at the very beginning. It’s too great and beneficial a feature to authors for Envato to put off any further. I mean, if they’ve got a great system in place already, why not go all the way, implement an author revenue sharing mechanism, and make it super great?!!

by
by
by
by
by
by