729 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Elite Author
  • Canada
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
TimMcMorris says

Hi friends,

I have been taking advantage of a lot of the deals happening online lately and have been buying up any libraries I think worth it – however, I am still looking for something I really haven’t come across yet.

If you know, and can make a suggestion, it will be very much appreciated!

What I am looking for is a very realistic library of small percussion. For some of my songs that fall into a pop or rock category I will record tambourine or claps etc live, but I am interested in a library that has done it better then my own recordings :) Plus, less time consuming.

Everything I have found so far is simply average at best. Even some of the better ones maybe have 1 mic position and very few velocity layers / variations of percussive hit types to work with.

To make things a little easier maybe, I am not looking for anything by:

Sound Iron
8 Dio
Native Instruments
FXpansion
Cinesamples
Steinberg (Hypersonic 2)

I either already have the library or don’t like what they offer. They cannot be cinematic percussion samples either.

Possibly the Fab Four ( http://www.soundsonline.com/Fab-Four ) may have what I am looking for, but possibly more of what would just be extra that I’m not looking for…. maybe useful, I don’t know.) If you have this I would love to hear your take on it.

So mainly just something with all sorts of shakers, sticks, claps, small drums, and especially weird and unusual (or not often used) percussion. I want to experiment with some new sounds as well.

Thanks for your time guys, I know if someone does know something I will find it here :)

1173 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+8 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

Look no further than Nine Volt Audio – Shimmer and Shake

http://www.ninevoltaudio.com/products/shimmer_and_shake.html

Has both loops and multi-samples.

NVA has really good quality stuff. Sound on Sound gave Shimmer and Shake a 5/5 review (from December 2011 edition).

”...It’s truly an epic venture, comprising almost 5000 samples. For a start, they recorded 22 different instruments, ranging from stalwarts such as tambourine, egg shaker, cabasa and maracas to curios such as goat toes, Meinl Spin Spark and Pearl Shakerine. In short, Nine Volt Audio have scored another absolute bullseye, and at a price that makes it a complete no-brainer purchase for practically anyone making their own music or mixing/producing for others. Bravo! Rating: 5/5”

Hope that helps :)

I should add that I also own Shimmer and Shake, and can vouch for its quality.

QuadraphonixAssociation
QuadraphonixAssociation Recent Posts Threads Started
1041 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
QuadraphonixAssociation says

Hi Tim,

maybe this could be also an interesting library for you: VIR 2 World Impact Global Percussion

Have fun and good luck for your research ;-)

721 posts Plastic it's fantastic:))
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
plastic3 says

Tim, i’m not sure, that this is what you need, but i like very much “Wizoo Darbuka & Latigo”..Great sound..

• Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
+8 more

Also – a SERIOUSLY left-field choice, is the stuff from Cinematique Instruments.

http://www.cinematique-instruments.com/

There is a huge variety of weird and wonderful stuff here, just click the ‘Instruments (Shop)’ link and you’ll see what I mean. They have a whole percussion section of instruments.

Don’t be put off by their brand title, their stuff is not for cinematic purposes only, it fits anything.

Cinematique’s sampled instruments always have a unique quality to them. I can’t put my finger on what it is, but once you start hearing some demos, you’ll understand.

101 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
JCKerosene says

Hi Tim,

I find for quick realistic results and fairly inexpensive. EZdrummer latin percussion is quite good. audition grooves while the track is playing..matches tempo..lots of variations and on the fly changes like 16 to 8 notes ect..a humanize function and built mixer with room mics and compression. not sure if its a large enough library for what you re looking for…but might be worth a look.

920 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
jhunger says

It’s not exactly what you asked for, but have you considered using a session drummer for these tracks? It might not cost as much as you think, saves tons of programming time, and IMO will always sound better.

@JCKerosene, I like Latin Percussion as well for some nice simple shakers and things. I have a few of my own percussion instruments that I try to use as much as possible but sometimes you need a different sound and there’s a lot there.

729 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Elite Author
  • Canada
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+3 more
TimMcMorris says

Great! Thanks VERY much Gareth, Ulf, Alex, JC and Joel!

I will look over everything you guys posted, and start making my Christmas list to give my wife ;)

And Joel, this is mainly because at the rate I am needing to make music right now it’s becoming difficult to wait on session musicians (also most of what I need isn’t too complex and I could do it myself anyway). I have a lot of the percussive instruments, I just wanted to see if something was out there that has just nailed the recordings better then I could where I am.

You guys are awesome :)

302 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
alkis says
garethcoker said
Also – a SERIOUSLY left-field choice, is the stuff from Cinematique Instruments. http://www.cinematique-instruments.com/

There is a huge variety of weird and wonderful stuff here, just click the ‘Instruments (Shop)’ link and you’ll see what I mean. They have a whole percussion section of instruments.

Don’t be put off by their brand title, their stuff is not for cinematic purposes only, it fits anything.

Cinematique’s sampled instruments always have a unique quality to them. I can’t put my finger on what it is, but once you start hearing some demos, you’ll understand.

Wow, I’m blown away by this. Thanks a lot Gareth!

• Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
+8 more

@alkis

If nothing else, buy the Guitar Harmonics library. Guitar harmonics are incredibly hard to record well and even harder to sample. They did a phenomenal job.

by
by
by
by
by
by