5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
LadyDK says

Hi. I am looking for at Wordpress theme that suits my needs, and Envato Support told me to ask my questions here. I will tell you about the website background, my skills and the needs for the theme. Then I hope anyone can help me with some options – hopefully suggest some themes for me. Put on your reading glasses ;)

Project background First of all; I am in charge of my companys new website. We are a construction company with about 100 employees – we do carpenting but mostly controling the whole construction proccess og big projects with a lot of subcontractors. We don’t find our customers on the street, they find us and asks us for a offer on their project, and the main reason for the website is to keep up network.

My coworkers who will be managing the website on a daily/weekly basis are non-tech, and I want to strip down the backend as much at posible – including post editing pages. Hope I explained well enough.

My skills: Fairly to wordpress, but trying to learn as fast as I can. Can read, understand and edit Wordpress code. HTML and CSS on intermediate level but not used often. PHP on a basic level.

Custom Post Types I plan on using several of my own custom post types, with a lot of my own settings. I will also use my own custom taxonomies and custom fields. I have a plugin for this WP Types (managing my custom stuff) and WP Views (querying without coding – managing own templates for single-posttype and archivepages). I will have the options to embed the things I create with the two plugins into a xml file that will be a part of the theme, without editing options – that’s if it is a better idea not to have the plugins running.

I will use these cpt: projects, slides (children of projects), news, projects we won (special news), employees. Will hide the default post type and use the pages as the static pages and also to use for some of the dynamic pages (with WP Views shortcodes). Just wish I could lock some of the posts from the editors.

Most of the beautiful themes I can find are using their own custom post types, but to have my own the best way would be to remove them and create my own. I asked a author about this and he told me that:
” almost all advanced themes around here (on ThemeForest) are using their custom frameworks (build on top of other frameworks) to implement various features. If you’re on a quest of modifying any theme with advanced functionality – get ready to get hands dirty in code :) If you want to use plugins to easily create your custom post types, metaboxes, etc. – there’s a high possibility that they will conflict with theme. Therefore sometimes it’s much easier to find a theme with lovely design and very basic features and use dev plugins to implement custom post types, boxes, shortcodes etc. Otherwise brace yourself to dig into core of theme (and WordPress itself) :D”

So, I guess he’s right, and now I’m on a quest for a lovely designed theme with basic features.

Wishlist for visuals and features:

• Light Colour Scheme
  • Clean, minimal and down-to-earch typography – see Gridlocked and Garnish
  • Responsive fullwith with a inner container, framework where I can easily create my own rows and columns with CSS styles like class=”span8”.
  • Shortcodes (Buttons, Toggles, Tabs, Alerts) would just be awesome
  • Don’t need to much theme options
  • Not a lot of fancy effects and options
  • Multi Level Dropdown Menu
  • A good responsive slider – or I might implement my self
  • SEO friendly (of course)
  • Breadcrumb – or compatible i Yoast plugin
  • Numbered pagination
  • Custom sidebars – or compatible with a userfriendly plugin
  • The theme must be with of profesional standard and the author must provide updates for bugs and WP updates. Documentation and support would be nice.

Please please help me, or tell me that my request is stupid or unreasonable. I thourgh my ideas for the project was right, but now I feel kinda lost, not sure if the right theme for me is out there.

5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
LadyDK says

Anyone?

1243 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
ImanGM says

Hi LadyDK,

I think you should choose a theme on ThemeForest based on it’s design and then ask a developer to customize it for you. (May be you can find someone on http://www.microlancer.com).

Cheers

by
by
by
by
by
by