118 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
NenadVFX says

I think you see it wrong. even for commercial use most people only need regular license. it’s all about if the person at the end of the chain may watch it for free or not. in between they can make millions with your animation, as long as the end user doesn’t have to pay for watching it. and let’s be honest here, in almost no scenario this will be the case (unless it’s pay-tv or they are selling dvds).

Yes, but what if some “TV program production studio” purchase some logo animation for their new TV show, which they are planing to run on some TV channel. In that case they are selling their show with “your logo” to that TV station…

For that they need to purchase extended license… and also for every next season they need to purchase it again.

2395 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says

I think you see it wrong. even for commercial use most people only need regular license. it’s all about if the person at the end of the chain may watch it for free or not. in between they can make millions with your animation, as long as the end user doesn’t have to pay for watching it. and let’s be honest here, in almost no scenario this will be the case (unless it’s pay-tv or they are selling dvds).

Yes, but what if some “TV program production studio” purchase some logo animation for their new TV show, which they are planing to run on some TV channel. In that case they are selling their show with “your logo” to that TV station…

For that they need to purchase extended license… and also for every next season they need to purchase it again.

but the end user here is the man wacthing tv. In old license there was a paragraph for this scenario but that is gone, so now only regular would be needed.

I think this needs to be changed, but hey, that can take some time…

118 posts
+2 more
NenadVFX says

but the end user here is the man wacthing tv. In old license there was a paragraph for this scenario but that is gone, so now only regular would be needed.

I think this needs to be changed, but hey, that can take some time…

I don’t know what’s changed, I got that from “License FAQ” under the “What is a single application?”...

“Example: A 12 episode TV series that starts in December and ends in July would only require a single extended license. A YouTube series that releases an episode every week (52 total) would only need to purchase a regular license once every year. A free magazine that releases an edition every other month would need to purchase a regular license once every year. A paid magazine would need to buy an extended license every year. “

2395 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says
YOU ARE RIGHT nenad! I’m sorry for confusion, but that part is hidden in the faqs and doesn’t show up on the normal license page. There all it says is:
7.You can’t Sell the End Product, except to one client.
The one client would be the TV Channel.

But in FAQs you can find this part:

Even using an item on a TV show on a free-to-air channel requires an extended license, because the end product is the show and that is being sold to the network.
118 posts
+2 more
NenadVFX says

YOU ARE RIGHT nenad! I’m sorry for confusion, but that part is hidden in the faqs and doesn’t show up on the normal license page. There all it says is:
7.You can’t Sell the End Product, except to one client.
The one client would be the TV Channel.

But in FAQs you can find this part:

Even using an item on a TV show on a free-to-air channel requires an extended license, because the end product is the show and that is being sold to the network.

:) You are not the only one who is confused… After a few minutes of reading through those licenses, my face gets like this:
Reveal1

672 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
abstract-labs says

I missed that part too :)

It would be interesting to take a look at some statistics about how many standard and extended licenses are sold.

by
by
by
by
by
by