339 posts Andre28 - Envato Elite Author
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
andre28 says

i’m really disappointed with some “invisible” people! i really don’t understand them… today i noticed that someone gave me some low rating on one of my “top selling” item at the moment… the average now is 3 stars that for me is really disappointing and for sure will cause a decrease in sales in the next future…

obviously no one ever complained about the item, i only received compliments… no one ever emailed me for some kind of help needed or anything!

now i have to think 2 things: someone is envious about “i don’t know what”... or this rating system is simp,y completely wrong.

in both situations i don’t understand why envato doesn’t correct it quickly since it will affect both me and sites sales and since is now passed some time since we all asked for an “update”.

I would like to know other opinions about that, because at the moment i’m really frustrated!

421 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
expressivemedia says
andre28 said
i’m really disappointed with some “invisible” people! i really don’t understand them… today i noticed that someone gave me some low rating on one of my “top selling” item at the moment… the average now is 3 stars that for me is really disappointing and for sure will cause a decrease in sales in the next future…

obviously no one ever complained about the item, i only received compliments… no one ever emailed me for some kind of help needed or anything!

now i have to think 2 things: someone is envious about “i don’t know what”... or this rating system is simp,y completely wrong.

in both situations i don’t understand why envato doesn’t correct it quickly since it will affect both me and sites sales and since is now passed some time since we all asked for an “update”.

I would like to know other opinions about that, because at the moment i’m really frustrated!

Firstly you have a fantastic portfolio something to be really proud of! From my own experience i can not say as not many people rate my files for some reason! if i buy an item i will always rate it depending on how i found the item!

I would never not rate a file i have bought due to envious reason, which i can totally understand, as if your item is not rated others will be higher! I don’t get to experience much with this and i honestly don’t think it affects me too much as my portfolio is small’ish lol.

I think your items are almost all 5 stars in my eyes!

Good Luck my friend!

895 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
Koolgfx says

I totally agree with you Andre! Envato has need to revise the rating system. One of my files after 7 votes I had 5 stars and I had 5 stars even in the profile, after the eight vote the rating dropped and even the 5-star rating in my profile was down to 4 stars, then it means that someone has added a score of 3 (or less). I even had a file was dropped by 2 votes (5 to 3) and then recovered thanks to the latest sales. Honestly I think everyone can vote to choose the most suitable that believes, but I’m sure there is someone who likes to place low marks to degrade others authors. Apparently it happened to many of us.

+4 more
andre28 says

thanks expressivemedia for your compliments… i’m in the same situation of you and most of people here i think… only 10% or less of buyers will rate an item.

the thing that i really don’t understand and make me disappointed is that i offer complete support if anyone needs help, but almost no one ask for it. who asked for it until now has always been satisfied with my advices.

so what i’m asking to myself is: why someone give a bad rating??

- if he/she doesn’t like the design, he/she should not buy it

- if he/she finds it difficult to use because is not organised well, reviewer should block it before going on the market

- if he/she expected something more or something is missing, why doesn’t leave a comment or send me an emails?.

also there are preview images that show exaclty what you will get….

i don’t know but i thing that staff should do something to protect all of us as author.

421 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
expressivemedia says

That’s it exactly! Lack of communication between designer and end user! Maybe buyers think we all work in skyscraper offices overlooking the Vegas strip, living of champagne and good times! so maybe they think we are too busy to answer or maybe they feel inadequate sometimes i really do not know, but i would so much prefer a quick email from buyer, I mean we all have contact boxes on our profiles its so easy to get hold of us!

I have never really bothered about ratings until i read more and more in the forum and a 5 star rating to a 3 star rating means the difference between a sale or not! so it is really important to us designers that our files are rated accordingly.

and if they are going to be rated less than 5 stars can we have a comment box for the buyer to fill in on why the rated less than 5 stars? is this even possible, as it would help us fix issues sometimes we miss?

461 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
+5 more
Sleightofhand says

Hey Andre,

Simply put:

I would judge your portfolio by looking at your previews/work and not the rating. And as expressivemedia has said your work is fantastic, it speaks for itself.

However…

I totally understand that you are frustrated by the rating system, maybe some feedback on the rating would help? And yes I agree the rating system needs to be looked at.

I think Collis is currently asking for feedback on any issues authors may have.

Sleight

+4 more
andre28 says

Thanks Sleight! I really appreciate..

The thing that make me frustrated is that someone decided that he/she had the time to give a low rating, instead of contacting me or at least leaving a 2 lines comment (even if bad i would accept it!) in the item page… this for me make no sense at all…

The only thing that can comfort me is that all the other people that bought it never complained…so i must think that the item is good as it is, and this case is only an accident… :)

523 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+10 more
Zeplix says

I agree and disagree here.

I agree that people should need to leave a comment, to be able to rate an item. I too have items that have received nothing but compliments in their comments, but have slowly started to drop in ratings (though nothing as drastic as down to 3, but still), and yes, it is annoying that someone “invisible” can rate your item, without you having any idea what you did wrong.

I disagree with your assumptions though. Saying “either the rating system must be wrong, or people are jealous!” is just outright silly. Now I personally think you have a nice looking portfolio, however that doesn’t mean everyone thinks so. I believe most lower ratings are from people who expect something else than they get; there is no specific rule here, simply the item didn’t live up to their expectations, or didn’t provide something that they expected it did. Sometimes this is the buyers fault, but sometimes it is also the fault of the author. Re-read your file presentations, think about how someone who doesn’t know the file would think about it, think about your documentation following with the item, and so on.

You’ll notice that most people that leave comments on items, are either: A, other authors, or B, special buyers that really buy a lot. It is quite rare to see buyers, who seem to have only bought that one file, leave a comment (unless something is severely wrong (for instance, they can’t get an Action to work)). This means that there may be a lot of less-enthusiastic people out there, you simply don’t know exist.

Now, is that frustrating? Sure it is! And as I said, I would love it if you would be forced to leave a comment to also leave a rating. I also agree that the “Author Rating” (Total) seems to be bugged, when comparing to the rating of individual files. However, saying that either the system must be wrong, or other jealous authors are down-rating your item, just seems silly and arrogant.

+4 more
andre28 says

i can understand what you mean Zeplix and i thank you for the answer…

for my experience here on gr, even if not so long since i joined in january of this year, i spent the first month sending and sending items and saw them everytime rejected… To me it tooks 1 month to understand what i should do to create a real good item, a good presentation and so on, and since then my experience and my aesthetic improved a lot. i care about all the aspect you said, and most of all i write every time that if anyone would ever need some kind of support, can always contact me: it is written in the pdf documentation, in the item page, in my profile page.

i found that my best works are print layouts: i think there is nothing difficult with using them, (obviously if you have a really basic knowledge of the software).

spaces for images and spaces for texts: a buyer need only to replace this 2 things, and if he/she wants, also colors.

Now i’m always asking to myself what i could improve, but i never received a negative comment or email or everything else.

I supported lot of buyers that had difficulties, but mainly with softwares issues, or because they bought an item expeting something completely different (a mockup instead of the brochure he bought) and i always left them satisfied (i created the mockup for the guy to repair his mistake!).

I also understood some buyers that said honestly to me they rated wrong by mistake… never mind can happen, just bad luck.

Now probably you understand that if i see a low rating, without understanding why, and especially on an item that is going really well lately, my feelings are a bit down. I don’t think there are jelous author here, is a beautiful communty: my regrets are against this rating system that seems to be against us as author. I think we should be protected against mistake/voluntary low ratings at least by forcing a comment/explanation by who is giving it.

Now i’m sure that the quality of my item will be noticed, even if it has 3 stars… and wish for it many more sales in the future :)

523 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+10 more
Zeplix says

Having looked closer at your files, I think I see one of the problems, at least with your print templates: I’m honestly not sure what I would be getting if I bought the item.

Your item A5 Trend Brochure, is that… the layout I’m buying? Or is it the bended paper preview I’m buying? Or is it both? Now, if I as a fellow seller on Envato here can have trouble being sure what is being sold, I could certainly imagine a bunch of people making a mistake. (It looks great btw! I suck at layouting, so I’m quite jealous!)

And while everyone here knows the images won’t be included, you might want to make that even clearer.

Maybe the problem for you is that your presentation is to good! I mean, it looks fantastic! But to Mr. Average Joe, he might not realize that’s not necessarily how his layout will end up looking. Showing >exactly< what they get is paramount (not a single preview image shows exactly what I’m getting, with no edits or added stuff), in my opinion, and would probably save you a lot of grief.

by
by
by
by
by
by