443 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
vibes35 says

Ok… I am making a move to the Mac Powerbook 17” with the new i7 processor, 8 gigs ram… pretty much loaded to max…

Does anyone have experience running 3dmax, adobe suite etc on a Powerbook?

I am mostly looking for good flexibility to design while on the road?

Pros n Cons :)

Thanks

2645 posts Community Team
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+19 more
contrastblack Envato team says

I sadly have no direct experience regarding powerbooks, but from general experience with high performance laptops, running windows, you’d have to be paid either really well, or be “on the road” for literally weeks for it to be worth spending that much on a laptop computer, instead on a desktop solution.

I have no doubt that performance will be up to par, given the specs, but I’m just urging you to consider the efficiency of buying what in the end, is a system that trades performance for portability, and costs more in doing so.

Some of my colleagues however at the university have been using the new powerbook for general webdesign and graphic design purposes with Adobe CS5 , and it’s perfectly functional, even with heavyweight files.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your purchase! :D

443 posts
+9 more
vibes35 says

Thank you and that does help a lot-

Your concern has been mine moving forward… the portability is definitely a motivating factor even knowing that it will cost nearly double for the Powerbook than the desktop solution.

At this point money fortunately is not an option as a client is willing to pay for the whole thing for me and it gets rolled into a current project :) Doesn’t happen often but hey I’ll take it!!

Thanks again!

2645 posts Community Team
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+19 more
contrastblack Envato team says

Well in that case, please take two. Sounds perfect! :D Cheers mate, and good luck with the project. Glad to be of some help!

51 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
iJatrat says

Hi, I’ve been using a macBook pro for my work and I’m really satisfied with it. Unfortunately 3D max does not work on it but creative suite works really neat. The best part is that working with it is as smooth as cutting through butter!

arquitectostyles
arquitectostyles Recent Posts Threads Started
153 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
arquitectostyles says

Look into Bootcamp, Parallels, or VMWare Fusion. To run 3ds max, your going to need one of those programs to run windows virtually, or off another partition on your drive. Ive seen people whove done it, and it runs quite well. So check it out

443 posts
+9 more
vibes35 says

Look into Bootcamp, Parallels, or VMWare Fusion. To run 3ds max, your going to need one of those programs to run windows virtually, or off another partition on your drive. Ive seen people whove done it, and it runs quite well. So check it out

Thanks all for your comments :)

Here is what I did…..

17” MAC Book Pro 8 gigs RAM 2.8 GHertz i7 500 gig internal + 500 gig external Adobe CS5 Creative Suite Fusion to install MAX 2011

So far so good… I am amazed at the speed… even running Windows 7 Pro under Fusion I pull in an average 6.6 on the internal benchmark… Max runs great!! Adobe of course is awesome!!

Wow :)

by
by
by
by
by
by