238 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
dansjostedt says

Thanks for the comprehension. Thank you all for answering my question. At this point, I think i will choose windows as os and going to buy a laptop, what pc do you guys recommend? I wish a fast, convenient and practical one, useful for programming.

Thanks in advance!
Anything with an intel i7 pricessor, at least 4GB of memory, a good video card, and a solid state hard drive (or at least 7200rpm).. After that, you can make it anything you want it to be.. Mine is Alienware M14x

Personally I like AMD better for laptops ^^ I’ve bought 3 laptops this year, 2 with intel core i7 and the last one with AMD a10..

they all got the same ammount of memory (8 gb) and dual graphics with 1gb memory..

15,6” screen full hd and the 2 with intel actually gets slower and slower pretty fast, and also they get alot hotter.

And something to lay under your laptop (cooler) is really good to have, saves alot on the lifetime of your laptop!

586 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

I switched to Mac 3 years ago. When I think about eventually going back to PC (going back is literal in this case) I get cold sweats :S
No need to break a sweat. Just dont buy into the propaganda that win8 is bad. Buy yourself win8 and a nice set of hardware and i guarantee you within a week or two you wont even think about a mac anymore.
Actually I already tested win8 for a while and I don’t really like it. Example: a computer where I can’t find immediately how to turn it off (not just log off) should have something wrong. I think Microsoft doesn’t know how to build stable software and their browser is also a good example. Google started with Chrome ages after IE and look how well it works (and I’m comparing with the “great” IE10).
Anyway, I respect your opinion and it seems that the person who started the thread too, so I wish that all of you are able to do whatever you need to with your Windows PC ;)
211 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
Animation1000 says

I do opt for a PC instead of MAC, but it’s simply because I grew up with pc. I do however dig some of the software’s that is strictly available for mac. Also my PC is my entertainment system, Gaming, music, movies, work, I love it the way it is. But then again I’m old school and i’m still using windows xp, and Afrikaans people don’t like change that much. You know the saying: If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!:)

236 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in New Zealand
madlep Envato team says

Mac.

Windows just isn’t an option for the kind of development work I do (most open source dev libraries treat Windows as an afterthought at best).

Linux would work fine too, but I like the shiny mac hardware and OS UI more :D

189 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+12 more
Crusader12 Envato team says

(most open source dev libraries treat Windows as an afterthought at best).

curious as to which open source libraries you’re referring to?

236 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Located in New Zealand
madlep Envato team says

(most open source dev libraries treat Windows as an afterthought at best).
curious as to which open source libraries you’re referring to?

A lot of the Ruby eco-system assume you’re running something posix (OSX or Linux). Ruby, Rails, and most of the well used gems are pretty good these days, but anything that has native code often gets tricky to use.

It’s doable, but you end up spending more time messing around trying to get it all working on Windows.

189 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+12 more
Crusader12 Envato team says

I’ve had Ruby up and running in Windows 7 without any issues but didn’t really get into anything hardcore beyond that since I didn’t ever come across a need for it. Good to know though, thanks :)

294 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Endat says

Linux = 1,000,000+ GUI combinations.. you can pretty much design your own look and functionality, almost anything you can think of..

A lot of awesome looking user interfaces in movies are just Linux

1003 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
mudi says

Mac is more stable than windows tahts why they use mac. I will PC just because I am into pc gaming otherwise I have used mac.

8248 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

haven’t read the replies but what are you programming for… you can only program for iOS or Mac on a Mac… windows will limit you… that said I have both :)

by
by
by
by
by
by