1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

I mostly doing design in photoshop, illustrator and coding in long hour. I wish like to change from my current PC (Win xp2 ) to Mac.

Is the MacBook sufficient for the work? Is it difficult to transfer all the data to Mac without any lose of data or conflict? Can Mac run IE and other browsers? I know it’s kinda dumb question. But I know nothing about Mac :P I know Google is nearby but, I wish to hear from the experienced designers.

I also would like to get myself a drawing tablet, any recommendation?

Any experienced users of Mac can give me some advice?

2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Hey Kailoon,

You shouldn’t have any trouble transferring your Photoshop files over to the mac.

The bonus is that, anytime you need your Windows functionality, you can simply use a virtual machine; it works perfectly.

1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

Oh, so, I will still be able to use multi browsers, and any software I am using now in winxp?

Aiks! Typo in the thread title! Can Mark help me to correct it? :P

536 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Croatia
+2 more
darius9000 says

the only thing that is not sufficient is screen size. 13” is a bit to small. why don’t you go MacBook Pro? it’s expensive but worth every $. and not to mention that 15” are much more comfortable!

34 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
janokeselak says
the only thing that is not sufficient is screen size. 13” is a bit to small. why don’t you go MacBook Pro? it’s expensive but worth every $. and not to mention that 15” are much more comfortable!

+1. I had been using MB 13 ” for 1 year and half and then I switched to MB Pro. I’ve been working on MB Pro 15” for one year now and I cant complain. But I’ve got my eyes opened for the new 17” model, fingers crossed…

If your budget allows it, stick with pro, it is worth every penny. Good luck :)

698 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says
I mostly doing design in photoshop, illustrator and coding in long hour. I wish like to change from my current PC (Win xp2 ) to Mac.

Is the MacBook sufficient for the work? Is it difficult to transfer all the data to Mac without any lose of data or conflict? Can Mac run IE and other browsers? I know it’s kinda dumb question. But I know nothing about Mac :P I know Google is nearby but, I wish to hear from the experienced designers.

I also would like to get myself a drawing tablet, any recommendation?

Any experienced users of Mac can give me some advice?

Me too considering switching to MB PRo 17, will do that as soon as possible.

And tablet? I strongly suggest You to consider Wacom Intuos. I have Intuos A5 and it’s worth every dollar. Yo do not need A4 as it’s too big, except drawing is Your primary work.

626 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

Hey Kailoon,

I would REALLY recommend to get a MacBook Pro. I was working on a MacBook for 2 years and it wasnt really sufficient when working with large photoshop files or when i hat to use a virtual machine for testing windows programms/browsers.

The small display was a thing that always bugged me as well. =)

2022 posts Review Manager
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Mac’s run on intel cpu’s so moving from PC to Mac or vice versa is almost never a problem these days. Plus, like Jeffrey said, you can just run a virtual machine with XP, Vista, Windows 7 or your flavor of Linux. :)

If you’re going to get one of the smaller sized mac laptops (13” or 15”) you might consider getting an external display to use with it. I use a 20” iMac with a 20” secondary display and I could still use more space.

I run Windows XP with FF, Safari, IE6 and IE7 for testing within Parallels and a few other Windows only applications for both fun and work (which are kind of the same for me, lol). For my primary browsers on the Mac I run Firefox 2 & 3, Safari 3.2 & 4 and Opera.

As far as tablets, I have no clue. lol Performance on a Macbook might be a step down depending on what kind of hardware you’re running in your PC and depending on what model of Macbook you buy. In general the Macbook will have the power to do most anything you need but you might consider a Macbook Pro to really get some grunt cpu power, bigger screen, etc.

You’re always welcome to shoot me an email if you have a mac question too. :)

61 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ne-design says

I know there are lots of great things about Mac like everyone says, but I thought it will be nice to know there are also negative points.

• Macbooks is very heavy compare to other 13 inch windows laptop.
  • Macbook does not have a VGA support.(You need a adapter)
  • Only has two USB ports.
  • To run Win on Mac you will need to buy XP or Vista. (OEM won’t work)
  • You need to buy another expensive Photoshop for Mac.
  • After a year they can go really hot on your lap.
  • They are really expensive.

Hope this helps!

2022 posts Review Manager
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
jremick Envato team says
I know there are lots of great things about Mac like everyone says, but I thought it will be nice to know there are also negative points.
  • Macbooks is very heavy compare to other 13 inch windows laptop.
  • Macbook does not have a VGA support.(You need a adapter)
  • Only has two USB ports.
  • To run Win on Mac you will need to buy XP or Vista. (OEM won’t work)
  • You need to buy another expensive Photoshop for Mac.
  • After a year they can go really hot on your lap.
  • They are really expensive.
Hope this helps!

I don’t want to start a Mac vs PC fight here I just want to point out a few things I don’t think are true and that kind of stuff.

1. Macbooks are heavier. They use an aluminum case cut out of a single block. That also means it is going to be much stronger and more durable than other laptops that use plastic casing. I’ve heard the new casing for the macbooks is very very strong.

2. The 17” macbook pro has 3 usb ports and a fw800. Also, when traveling it is unlikely you will use more than 2 usb ports anyway. External hdd’s should be fw800 too. If you’re at home, you can just use a usb hub if you need more ports.

3. I’ve haven’t heard of not being able to use an OEM version of XP or Vista on a Mac. It works for me. :)

4. The key for Photoshop should also work for Mac. If it doesn’t, you should be able to call Adobe and they can transfer the key over to one that will work with both platforms or one that will work on Mac.

5. I’ve heard they can get very hot but the newer models are supposed to be a little better about that. Aluminum casing on them pulls the heat from the components which is better for the hardware and worse for your lap, lol. I’ve also heard about many PC laptops that get just as hot that run the same hardware.

6. Yes, they are more expensive. However, it has been argued that when you break down the price vs quality, etc. that it isn’t as expensive as you might think. I have family that has had their macbooks for 3-5 years (the first ones they bought) and yet they’ve gone through several PC laptops within a 1 year span. Not saying PC’s are worse but it seems like Apple was a good choice for them. Plus, they stopped calling me for tech. support, lol. :-D

Anyway, like I said earlier, I’m not trying to pick a fight. Mac vs PC is the never ending debate, lol. Both are great platforms, I just prefer Mac. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by