• Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
Matthias_ says

Hey guys!

Another thread about Mac or Pc… So yeah, i plan to buy a laptop in autumn this year. But i don’t really know what to buy. I mean, a apple laptop is expensive, but looks fantastic.

How complicated is it to put on Windows on a Macbook? I am not a real gamer, but i round of Call of duty in freetime… Is the Graphic Unit strong enough?

Oh and, i plan to buy a 15’ anyway. Is a Refurbished Laptop also okey? http://trimr.de/KMs

If i take a mac, is the antiglare better, or the High.Res Glossy one? And if so, are 8GB of ram better? Because Ram on apple is really expensive to upgrade…

So yeah, lots of questions, and sry for my bad english :/

Greez from Germany!

1601 posts Building the Web.
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+2 more
ZoomIt says

Another question: Planning to buy a MB too but some users here said that the motherboard fries after 3 years. Does this happen a lot ? I mean I have a 3 years HP laptop and it does not have the slightest problem.

Also: is the MB Air worth it ?

484 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
+1 more
omarabid says

Expensive for what you get. That’s Apple. I would go for a tiny Sony Vaio (13 inchs) and plug it to my 20 inchs monitors and wireless mouse and keyboard. An external hard drive is also good.

If you are a Windows geek forget about Macs and OSX . It adds up nothing. You got Photoshop, Firefox, Stylizer and pretty much everything in Windows. + your games and other stuff.

For quality. Nothing can beat Sony. Watch. http://discover.sonystyle.com/rocket/

417 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Sharky says
2097 posts
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+7 more
DarkstarDesigns says

One i would not get a mac unless you have a large amount of money as you pay a lot for the branding of apple.

I also would not get anything that has been refurbished i have only ever had problem with electrical good that have been refurbished.

So i would get a PC also make it easier for call of duty as you will get more for you money.

as you do 3D you will want I7 or quad core as the cpu determine most of the render time in 3d max.

avoid getting sony and other companies where your just paying fro the brand, just look to get the best hardware for the money

2201 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
ArikB says

If you get a mac you get:

– Superior screen to just about any other laptop out there.
– Great battery life
– An OS that barely has any issues and has a slew of tools to automate tasks such as defrag. Basically you can spend way more timing working and way less time fixing things.

However with the advent on Win 7 I can’t be held responsible for the above claim because I do not know what Win 7 is capable of.

So the question is, what do you want to do?

If you are going to use it for work like cgi, then no. For one CG requires a tough machine (a la mac pro or a pimped up workstation). Secondly, Mac does not have a lot of cg package support. You can run windows on a mac but why the eff do you want a mbp if you’re going to use windows? The OS is the main selling point.

The Macbook Air isn’t really worth it imo. Too small, underpowered, no drive (not that I ever use one these days LOL ). I see the macbook air as a fashion accessory or some kind of alternative to a windows or linux netbook.

I love my mbp because I use OS X all the friggin time. I use PS, AI, INDD and I never ever switch to windows. I don’t have AV software bogging me down, I don’t have issues with the system AT ALL . No faulty internet connections, no errors, nothing.

Hardware: Yes mbp’s heat up. But you can remedy the issue by undervolting and controlling the fans.

Mbp’s are worth the cost if you plan to use OS X and if you value the points I mentioned earlier. A lot of people fail to account for the time you spend fixing windows bugs now and again or having your system crash on you. I don’t have that anymore, this machine has made me more efficient. For that, it’s worth the 2k euros I paid.

I’d recommend using a macbook pro/imac if you are a professional who uses os x compatible products or if you are a non-professional user who can afford the system and does not want to or is unable to troubleshoot windows issues.

If you are a HARDCORE gamer, you will need to dish out for a mac pro, which isn’t worth it imo.

3402 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
+1 more
bobocel says

Get a mac!

2566 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
ThemeProvince says
Get a mac!

I solute you!

3069 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

Speaking about hardcore gamers and mac pros or any apple products in the same sentence is just awkward. There is no such thing. :)

2201 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
ArikB says
Speaking about hardcore gamers and mac pros or any apple products in the same sentence is just awkward. There is no such thing. :)

Can’t argue there.

by
by
by
by
by
by