725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
TylerQuinn says

Portability vs. Speed. What’s your priority?

As much as I love the Air I prefer Pro, my MacBook never leaves my desktop.

The MacBook Pro Retina 15” is actually thinner and slightly lighter than the MacBook Pro 13” :) Get that if you want portability and power! ;)
No way! I’ll wait til’ the new iMac comes out. I won’t pay $3K for a laptop :ohrly:

Ya retina is a bad purchase right now IMO … Nothing supports it and its crazy over priced lol. I did hear that a popular TF author by the name Orman is having issues with Photoshop running slowly on the Air. I think I am going to get the upgraded 13” Pro, and keep bugging apple until they bump the resolution.

I think its their shady way of making people pick the 15” for a better resolution, the Air and the 13” pro have the same 13.3” diagonal display, why does only the Air run 1440×900? If someone can explain why I would love to hear!

P.S another author just recently posted about poor retina support: http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/google-chrome-canary-for-retina-macbookpro/70042

14 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Clevertail says

I would suggest the MacBook Pro. While the Air doesn’t meet the same standards as the MacBook Pro, it’s still a rather powerful machine! However, you may have to purchase an external CD/DVD reader and writer if you plan on using such materials. Also, it’s display don’t contend well with the Pro.

Don’t let the negative points dawn on you, it’s also extremely lightweight, quiet, and powerfull for what it is, but if more power, better features, and performance are your buying strategy, the the MacBook Pro would be the better cchoice over the Airs extreme portability.

Hope this helps you.

2064 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in United States
Landonw says

I think I’ll live without the extra performance the Macbook Pro offers. The Macbook Air is THIN and FAST as it only comes with an SSD . The Macbook Pro doesn’t have an SSD and I just can’t roll with that. I’m also not interested in playing inside of my mac.

376 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
RightHere says

............ The Macbook Pro doesn’t have an SSD and I just can’t roll with that. I’m also not interested in playing inside of my mac.

The new MacBook Pro Retina comes with up to 768 GB flash storage. :)

2064 posts
Landonw says

............ The Macbook Pro doesn’t have an SSD and I just can’t roll with that. I’m also not interested in playing inside of my mac.
The new MacBook Pro Retina comes with up to 768 GB flash storage. :)

If you’re willing to pay for it then be my guest. I’m having trouble coming up with $700 to buy the 13” Macbook Air (I have $500 saved for it thus far) without selling anything, so I surely can’t come up with like $3000 for a Macbook Pro Retina.

138 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
WPHead says

I’d go with the pro… my air is constantly overheating when connected to my cinema display.

14 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in United Kingdom
ThemeBeam says

I’d also recommend the MacBook pro – it’s definitely worth the extra investment if you can afford it.

+8 more
TylerQuinn says

I talked with some people at the Apple store, I was told I would be happier with the Pro. I asked some technical questions about why the Air runs a higher resolution even though they are the exact same 13.3” panel (to which no one could give me a straight answer) all they said was they are different displays lol…

One guy even told me that because the Air is designed to run on lower power it uses different display settings which made no sense to me at all… Why would it run at a higher resolution with greater pixel density to save power?

Anyhow when I asked about Photoshop he said the Air really is not for working on large PSD files and doing design work. I still think they limit the resolution on purpose to persuade people into buying the 15” inch, from what I have read you cannot even connect the 13” Pro to an external monitor.

57 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
StelianSubotin says

Well, i’m also thinking about getting the latest MBP 13 ” because the retina MB looks too over-priced to me.

from what I have read you cannot even connect the 13” Pro to an external monitor.

Are you sure? :O

These two look like connected 13” MBPs ..

http://media.netmagazine.futurecdn.net/files/images/2012/5/coyierdesk.jpg http://media.netmagazine.futurecdn.net/files/images/2012/5/samanthasdesk2.jpg
+8 more
TylerQuinn says

Well, i’m also thinking about getting the latest MBP 13 ” because the retina MB looks too over-priced to me.

from what I have read you cannot even connect the 13” Pro to an external monitor.

Are you sure? :O

These two look like connected 13” MBPs ..

http://media.netmagazine.futurecdn.net/files/images/2012/5/coyierdesk.jpg http://media.netmagazine.futurecdn.net/files/images/2012/5/samanthasdesk2.jpg

I cant find the thread I was reading on the Apple Support Forums but it had gone unaswered. I think they were talking about the ability to upgrade the actual LCD panel. The upgraded 15” allows for: “Configurable to 1680-by-1050 high-resolution glossy or antiglare display.”

Being a new model refresh a year later, I dont see how the 13” Pro and 13” Air could have such different displays. I did notice (and have read on the Apple forums) that the Pro LCD ’s do have a much better color gamut.

by
by
by
by
by
by