64 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
Kiss_Collective says

Is anyone working on any new magazine themes? There seems to be a helluva lot of portfolio themes in circulation right now, but few versatile magazine themes.

What I’d really love to see is something with the functionality and adaptability of the famous Thesis theme.

What do you think?

242 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
ATLChris says

I am working on a magazine style theme right now.

67 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Headset says

Building such a framework (Thesis) would not pay off here unfortunately. I mean the best priced themes here are $45 and their authors have spent like gigillion hours of development.

238 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Poland
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Mastergreed says

I’m working on a simple WP theme that will have few (ok, more than few) customization options like thesis does, but yep – nothing too fancy, at least nothing like thesis.

1426 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+10 more
kailoon Reviewer says

Can list down what you like about thesis theme? That will help authors in developing.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Basically… what you’re saying is, you’re waiting for my theme. My theme, Customized, is exactly what you want (I think). Concept of Thesis, magazine layout, almost 100% CSS , completely customizeable (hence the name…), a ridiculous amount of options like “BigFeature”, oh, and WordPress. :)

Unfortunately, it’s still in development and won’t be out for another 1-3 weeks. Good news is that the hardest parts are done already, and I have just finished “pimping out” the theme settings interface.

54 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
GhostPool says

Well I’ve just released a magazine-style theme. I have no idea if it’s anything like the Thesis theme because I’ve not seen it, but I thought I’d put it our there nonetheless. :)

64 posts
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
Kiss_Collective says

@GhostPool: Thanks for pointing it out. It’s an awesome theme. Best of luck with the sales.

@Kailoon: The thing I like about Thesis is that it pretty much serves as a framework that you can easily build on. The default install of the theme, design wise, is fairly bare-bones but sophisticated enough to want to actually use it. But it’s all about the modular options, what you can add on and take away at the click of a button. I know many designers here put a lot of work into their admin panels and that’s a really good sign.

@Phoneix_Zero: Wow. Sounds amazing. I can’t wait to see it. If it lives up to your description then it could well be da bomb!

///

The trouble with many of the magazine themes out there is that they tend to be overly graphic and niche-tailored. That’s not a bad thing per se, but when you’re looking for a theme to do some minor mod work on then it makes it kind of tricky.

I find the themes I like the best on TF are those that are the most simple and functional by design. I like BigPicture (mentioned above by Phoenix Zero) for that very reason. Clearly it has been one of the best sellers here too, so it’s doing something right.

///

The ideal magazine theme for me, and obviously this is going to be hugely subjective and everyone will have their own personal preferences but it would include the following:

• light, clean, spacious design
  • clear navigation throughout
  • clear and consistant CSS link colors throughout
  • decent font sizes for some serious reading!
  • a top level featured post section
  • below the features, a usual blog stream, intercut with ad space, and a ‘most talked about’ or ‘popular post’ section
  • a sidebar capable of being split into two columns on demand
  • an extended footer with 3 or four columns for links etc.

basically, I guess what I’m looking for is something like the smashingmagazine theme! I just love that design. It always makes me want to hang around and read more. Helps that they produce awesome content too.

Anyway, like I said, I told you this was going to be highly subjective.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. Thanks for all your replies!

413 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
altinkum says

thesis never been that good and many other wonderfull wordpress themes here. but nice magazine or news theme would be nice on here.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

If you are truly that interested in such a specific design, you should wait until I release my theme (sometime around February 1st). It matches your specifications more than several times.

by
by
by
by
by
by