Hi, I’ve been trying to find a way to more efficiently use Photodune in a professional context, but right now, that’s not so easy. Whenever I want to add a file to a collection, I need to open that photo in a new window and only then can I access the Collection feature. That’s far too complicated.
Here’s what I mean when I say “professional context”. As a designer, this is how I typically buy stock – and while I’m only talking about myself here, virtually all of my peers and fellow designers do it roughly in the same manner:
- Search for photos. Browse.
- Add a lot of photos to a Lightbox. On here, that’s called Collection. By “a lot”, I mean around 20-100, depending on the type of photo I am currently looking for.
- Search more, for different photos. Add to a new lightbox. Often, a single project requires multiple different types of photos – I need a collection for each type.
- At the end of a browsing session, I typically end up with about 4-10 different collections, each holding 20-100 photos.
- I now need to be able to download the full collections as low-res, watermarked comps.
- I turn to my design applications and create the design. I test a lot of the photos I have downloaded. I spend a lot of time finding the perfect match. I also may do some preliminary retouching of the low-res comps at this stage.
- Once I have a finished draft, I present the work to my client. They give me feedback and either approve it or ask for edits.
- If there are any edits, I may need to find more photos. Repeat the above.
- Once client has approved the draft, I buy all the photos that ended up making it. Depending on the type of design, there can be between 10 and 50 different single photos I’ll buy.
The reason I am saying this is that on Photodune, I cannot do this right now. The site is unusable for me.
First of all, there is no quick way to add photos to a lightbox (collection). I have to open each photo separately and add it. Takes way too much time. This may work if I have casual intentions, but it doesn’t work in a professional context.
Secondly, there is no way to download low-res comps besides “right-click – save image as”. If I want to do this for a lightbox of 100 images, it will take me all day. No thanks.
So right now, you are forcing me to go spend my budget elsewhere due to the lack of tools. I would really love to buy on here – I’ve seen a few really good photos that I could see working for my current project – but I’m not willing to sacrifice a day just to be able to get what I need from you.
If you are willing and would like to be taken seriously by the more professional type of buyer who does this on a larger scale, please consider adding at least these essential tools.
Thank you for considering.
- Envato Staff
- Has been a member for 4-5 years
- Attended a Community Meetup
- Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
- Bought between 50 and 99 items
- Community Ambassador
- Beta Tester
- Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site