5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
skilcraft says

Sometimes you got to think outside the box or be the first to step out and do something great! There are tons of great theme out there but I have yet to run across one that take into account custom post type in a way that integrate them as part of the site without the need for special widgets.

Take for example the plugin Eventon http://codecanyon.net/item/eventon-wordpress-event-calendar-plugin/1211017, a powerful event plugin that uses custom post type for unlimited events on your site.

What if those events could be displayed on a homepage or category page as any WP regular post? Not attached by the hip using a widget but integrated in the code to be seen with regular post.

This is an opportunity for theme developers to do something that most developers done. Change the status quo and create themes that is transparent with regular post and custom post type.

Any takers?

17 posts Perfect UX
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemeSphere says

This can turn out to be a great discussion and should serve as a public service message. It’s surely an area where there’s lack of data on user demand.

When we created our first theme, we were mainly offering the custom post types integration via child themes’ functions.php (using filter hooks), guiding users on how to achieve it. We assumed that only advanced users would be interested in this functionality. However, over time, we have seen more users utilize plugins like WP Recipe and some even willing to use our regular magazine type blocks for WooCommerce products.

Adapting to the demand – which is still mainly advanced users – we added support for custom post types and custom taxonomies in our home-page blocks. However, some places such as footer widgets still require using a child theme because current demand cannot justify the time spent – especially when advanced users can be guided through alternate means.

The point I am trying to make is that authors might not be very aware of the demand in this area. Perhaps this topic can be used to gauge demand and gain further insights by users and authors.

P.S. I haven’t personally used EventOn, but it might not work too well alongside regular posts due to publish date sorting being the norm.

- Asad

5 posts
skilcraft says

I truly believe that there is a high demand for such coding. In fact most of the theme administrators use a collection of plugins to accomplish similar results. Custom post types are a big part of WP websites, so to develop themes that are more user friendly would make for better use of these themes.

I mentioned Eventon because the plugin is a good example of custom post type that could easily fit into a theme organic search results, as well as display within the regular WP post. Another good example is SabaiDirectory provided that the coding does not pose too much challenges for the developer.

The thread serves as a springboard for what I presume that natural evolution of WP theme should be…

4 posts
  • Located in Europe
benjibenja says

Hello, I must say that I too am looking for this kind of integrations. Always have to use 3 or 4 plugins in order to achieve something decent. Any theme with this kind of integration would have my support.

Great topic skilcraft !

5 posts
skilcraft says

Less plugins mean a more stable theme, faster, and free from coding error that are associated with compatible issues cause by excess plugins.

I look forward to the developer(s) that take on this task.

by
by
by
by
by
by