+1 for the contest. Should be exciting.

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says
@ epicera: Then how to do “unique” designs?

Easy – All you do is specify some key objectives that the design much achieve. The solutions might take a variety of different, unique approaches, but ultimately each of them should solve the problem.

IE: using a non-traditional layout, design a website that will appeal to a broad number of businesses and include an easy to access welcome image, blog roll, twitter integration, mission statement, clearly defined navigation structure, styling for the primary CSS rules (h1,h2,h3,b,i,blockquote,etc.) and optional space for an advertisement block. The winner will be the one who A) fulfills these objectives unambiguously, B ) uses a unique, yet effective layout and C ) gets the most community + judge votes – where each Envato judge vote counts for X community votes.

These aren’t necessarily the goals that I’m suggesting for the contest, but it seems to me that it should be easy to define a few “objectives” and then allows the authors to be as creative as they’d like in the fulfillment.

364 posts Onuro
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
ThemeKioken says

Finally someone made the word out. Nicely said Justin =)

93 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Alexhughes says

Love the competition idea!

82 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
mehrpadin says

Any news? I know it was postponed.

4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
quezart says
Deffo agree with that. Not being an author at TF (at the moment) I can only speculate but I think many authors do the ‘tried-and-tested’ designs to earn $$; after all, you wouldn’t want to slave away on a theme for weeks to earn very little. 99% of the designers here have some real talent and I personally think TF would benefit from people breaking out, not just from this design mould but also from the whole ‘Portfolio’ theme – why not try something like this:
  • Nightclub theme
  • Driving instructor theme
  • Haunted house theme
  • Modelling Agency
  • These are all subjects I have personally been asked to design many times.
I don’t want to offend anyone, I mean this only as a constructive comment. I know ‘themes’ are just templates to be tuned by the buyer but in reality a lot of people who buy these themes hardly change them at all so there’s definately an opening there.

Outstanding thought. very true. Preach on preacher!

206 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
mlando says
Would you guys like it if I held a “Unique Template” competition?? Maybe around $1500 worth of prizes?

Our only requirement would be that these templates MUST be real-world. You can’t get too artsy, or people won’t buy them.

Let me know your thoughts!

Like the Idea of this… Too artsy? Putting boundaries on thinking out-side the box is not healthy… cough…

To comment on the “formula” Layout style I would just like to say… Repetition of commonly accepted layout styles and grids are interpreted easily for the end user and allow them figure out the design without difficulty. Placing things in unusual places makes the end user work in figuring out the site and places barriers to the content. I think most authors that use the grid image displayed here, understand that relying on on accepted layout “standards” is one way to help bring the content forward. Breaking away is typically the exception, not the rule.

That being said… I love to see unique ideas. Can’t wait to see how this unfolds.

15 posts
  • Located in India
anjankumar says

I agree…that most of the templates are either portfolio based or a simple 5 page business based with variations of the slider. There is much scope for other field templates , most of the template selling sites jump into many fields…ex. TM .

My ideas ;

1. use some background image or effect 2. make magazine wordpress themes 3. joomla themes..[ no one is submitting now a days ] 4. minisites [ most popular now a days for clickbank style products , these are hot ] 5. Mobile templates [ not sure if this sells here..as TM already selling it from sometime ]

- 2cents

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

How’s this for unique: http://www.sequoiacap.com/

1870 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

1) people want money
2) the cliche business site makes more money than cliche sports site
3) many authors dont have enough photoshop skills to do some magical design
4) lack of “good layout” skills, so authors tend to do the same layout over and over again, because it works and they don’t need to do better then before because the money is still good for them
5) the layout from first post here evolved from wp default theme and from mentioned lack of “layout skills” (everybody can design 3 columns better then 2 columns. More text on one place require more “typographic skills” so it’s better for beginners to do a short 3 cols)

If I make a summary, it’s all about our skills and laziness about constantly learning and exceeding ourselves. I respect authors who every time they release something, it’s better than before. On the other hand I see here many authors who do the same, even for more than a year, still the same…

by
by
by
by
by
by