• Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
pearlstudios says
1) people want money
2) the cliche business site makes more money than cliche sports site
3) many authors dont have enough photoshop skills to do some magical design
4) lack of “good layout” skills, so authors tend to do the same layout over and over again, because it works and they don’t need to do better then before because the money is still good for them
5) the layout from first post here evolved from wp default theme and from mentioned lack of “layout skills” (everybody can design 3 columns better then 2 columns. More text on one place require more “typographic skills” so it’s better for beginners to do a short 3 cols)

If I make a summary, it’s all about our skills and laziness about constantly learning and exceeding ourselves. I respect authors who every time they release something, it’s better than before. On the other hand I see here many authors who do the same, even for more than a year, still the same…

+1 I make sure I do not get sucked into this mould however tempting it is and try something different all the time.

193 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Roeven says

It’s a market of supply and demand. We can make funky artsy-fartsy designs, but they won’t sell as good as those “cu3er” designs. There’s a reason there are so many of them. ;-)

366 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
PixelStores says

lol freshface, great ThemeForest humor.

Count me in for the competition.

951 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Daan says

_freshface, that image is awesome!

@MattStrange, this thread is over half a year old :)

659 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
luckykind says
It’s a market of supply and demand. We can make funky artsy-fartsy designs, but they won’t sell as good as those “cu3er” designs. There’s a reason there are so many of them. ;-)

anything that’s now under the title of “in-demand” was probably once “arsty-fartsy”...

I mean “in-demand” websites were once “links on the left, content on the right”... now look how far it’s come…

If you’re always mimicking demand by changing colors and gradients; more often then not (especially when it comes to new people to the marketplace) you’re probably just chasing leftover dollars…

By being a little “artsy-fartsy”... yes, the down side is you could be wasting your time… the upside, if you make “artsy-fartsy” work for customers… is that you have something unique… that could propel you to “big dawg” status… bringing you even more sales, than you were making chasing leftover dollars…

So to the orginial OP’s point… don’t be afraid to be “artsy-fartsy” because there’s people looking for it…

206 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
mlando says

How about something with a bokeh background? :)

by
by
by
by
by
by