• Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
dnp_theme says

I am having a ton of issue with attachments, I am so sick with wp import/export plugin, I feel like doing phpmyadmin is the best way to do anything. I just moved a new version of one of my themes to the live demo server and the best way to do it was via SQL and went smooth.

Now exporting the sample_data.xml does export the XML file properly but fails to import Media on a different site.

Do you know any better way to go around this? Is there a tutorial or some wp trick to do I am not aware of?

152 posts (-_(-_-(-_-)-_-)_-)
  • Elite Author
  • Italy
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Skywarrior says

We actually made a 1 click import for some features in our new theme. Problem is, by importing the database some stuff cannot be imported, like widgets, so we end up just importing elements that we couldn’t with the wp plugin. If you find something please let me know because we couldn’t :/

1674 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

This would make an awesome tutorial on the wptuts+ really!!

131 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Exclusive Author
juarathemes says

I’m always curious how they make this “1 click demo install”. Hope someone would like to reveal the secret

292 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
crossroad says

131 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Exclusive Author
juarathemes says

^ it’s not only about clicking twice or more, but the simplicity of sample data installation. So the user can find out what they have to do

420 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
Jaynesh says

I use a modified version of the importer plugin and changed the class name so it doesn’t conflict. You can also make it look almost exactly like the demo by using use add_option() in the importer to import data into your options panel such as social icons, fonts, colours, settings and other things that the importer wouldn’t usually do.

You can also use set_theme_mod() in the importer so it also sets the menu location, something the default importer doesn’t do.

I might post an example if you guys are interested.

EDIT: Also 1Click demo installers can drastically cut down your support tickets. It is definitely something to look into.

DistinctiveThemes
DistinctiveThemes Recent Posts Threads Started
130 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
DistinctiveThemes says

I use a modified version of the importer plugin and changed the class name so it doesn’t conflict. You can also make it look almost exactly like the demo by using use add_option() in the importer to import data into your options panel such as social icons, fonts, colours, settings and other things that the importer wouldn’t usually do.

You can also use set_theme_mod() in the importer so it also sets the menu location, something the default importer doesn’t do.

EDIT: Also 1Click demo installers can drastically cut down your support tickets. It is definitely something to look into.

Yes please! An example would be epic

1674 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

Yes please! An example would be epic

+1

1184 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
tommusrhodus says

+1 I finally got around to doing this, and I’ve got admit, I wish I’d done this on every theme. The support ticket difference is unbelievable.

by
by
by
by
by
by