624 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

This is the “bumpiest” thread ever :D
I already stated that I found truly difficult that someone comes up with a “one click” method to generate sample content. This is mostly because themes use different ways to store their options for pages, posts and other custom post types. I have also stated that the XML import feature is not really good, because due to security some servers don’t import properly images and other content.
Once again, let me just add that I don’t have any trouble in generating content with some PHP instructions. Just to give an idea, on my latest theme, 3 blog posts, 3 portfolio items, 3 team members, 2 slides and 10 pages are generated with a single click. This took me less than 2 hours to implement which is nothing considering that I spent hundreds of hours developing the theme.

3247 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

I already stated that I found truly difficult that someone comes up with a “one click” method to generate sample content. This is mostly because themes use different ways to store their options for pages, posts and other custom post types. I have also stated that the XML import feature is not really good, because due to security some servers don’t import properly images and other content.
Once again, let me just add that I don’t have any trouble in generating content with some PHP instructions. Just to give an idea, on my latest theme, 3 blog posts, 3 portfolio items, 3 team members, 2 slides and 10 pages are generated with a single click. This took me less than 2 hours to implement which is nothing considering that I spent hundreds of hours developing the theme.

I don’t get why people are having such a hard time developing their own, its not really that difficult to do. Take the time developer your own system.

184 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
juarathemes says

I don’t get why people are having such a hard time developing their own, its not really that difficult to do. Take the time developer your own system.

Maybe that’s because we don’t know how to start?

1185 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

Start with DataBase. Export it and after that copy attachments from “uploads” directory and create a final zip with all this. On import replace the old links domain with the new one.

I must agree with @Pirenko, this is easy to do for a particular theme but a global tool that will work with any theme is hard and the only solution is to export/import the database.

I personally have no interest to develop a plugin for this because people don’t return back something. Not talking only about donations, most of the theme authors here don’t add at least a backlink in the item description. Too bad.

624 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

I have shown how to start on the second page of this thread: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/making-a-one-click-sample-install-or-just-use-xml-importexport/121980?page=2
This is using the method I described above, but there are alternative ways to do this. Good luck!
184 posts
juarathemes says

Thank you smartik and Pirenko…
That’s all make sense now :).
gonna try that…

20 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in United States
WatchMeShine says

Thanks, Pirenko. Really appreciate you.

I just sent you an email message, I’d love your opinion on my theme. You have that, “I know what the bleep I’m doing” vibe. Need your wisdom.

118 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
FranklinM2 says

I think I figured out how to import everything using a one click import system. This includes widgets, navigation menus, content and theme options the only thing left is setting those settings in Settings->Reading.

For widgets: I discovered a plugin called Widget Settings Importer/Exporter https://wordpress.org/plugins/widget-settings-importexport/

This plugin exports the widgets as a json file. And as you may know json is awesome.

For menus I use a function like this. It runs after the content has finished importing.
function set_demo_menus(){

//Import Menus
        $top_menu = get_term_by('name', 'Top Menu', 'nav_menu');
        $main_menu = get_term_by('name', 'Main Menu', 'nav_menu');
        $footer_menu = get_term_by('name', 'Footer Menu', 'nav_menu');

set_theme_mod( 'nav_menu_locations' , array('top-menu' => $top_menu->term_id, 'primary' => $main_menu->term_id, 'footer-menu' => $footer_menu->term_id ) );

}

You can see the full code on github here https://github.com/FrankM1/radium-one-click-demo-install You may need to make modification on how theme options are saved because this is different for each framework.

Feel free to share, fork or whatever.

146 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
phpface says

I think I figured out how to import everything using a one click import system. This includes widgets, navigation menus, content and theme options the only thing left is setting those settings in Settings->Reading.

For widgets: I discovered a plugin called Widget Settings Importer/Exporter https://wordpress.org/plugins/widget-settings-importexport/

This plugin exports the widgets as a json file. And as you may know json is awesome.

For menus I use a function like this. It runs after the content has finished importing.
function set_demo_menus(){

//Import Menus
        $top_menu = get_term_by('name', 'Top Menu', 'nav_menu');
        $main_menu = get_term_by('name', 'Main Menu', 'nav_menu');
        $footer_menu = get_term_by('name', 'Footer Menu', 'nav_menu');

set_theme_mod( 'nav_menu_locations' , array('top-menu' => $top_menu->term_id, 'primary' => $main_menu->term_id, 'footer-menu' => $footer_menu->term_id ) );

}

You can see the full code on github here https://github.com/FrankM1/radium-one-click-demo-install You may need to make modification on how theme options are saved because this is different for each framework.

Feel free to share, fork or whatever.

Thanks for sharing :), +1.

by
by
by
by
by
by