368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

If the PSD isn’t worth a $1,000 investment, it probably isn’t worth spending time developing the theme.

Couldn’t have said it better and this should be enough of an answer for the OP.

Unfortunately, this is the downside of TF. Buyers want a cheap quick fix and sometimes authors fall in the same mindset, that quality work can come cheap. Thing is redistribution rights sell only once, unlike theme/template licenses, thus:

.high-quality-design {
    multiple-files: true;
    organized-files: true;
    slicing-issues: 0;
    risk-reduction: true;
    price: 1000usd!worth;
}
480 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Located in United Kingdom
+3 more
FlatKing says

Avada themes Coder got rejected like 10 times, before he partnered with the designer of avada psd.
so coding without a proper design = $0
superb coding + proper design = POWER ELITE in a year
can buy PSD for $1000 if you are confident on your coding skills
ok, let buy 1000 psd then I can become a power elite with just spend $1000.000 because chance to make a theme like avada is smaller than 0.01%

...Simple as: PSDs are worth $1k plus. If you don’t want to spend the money make a partnership and if it gets a ton of sales you only get part of it. Or take a risk and if it pays off happy days.

73 posts StrictThemes
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+3 more
StrictThemes says

5-10% (PSD) / 95-90% (WP) is a fair and much more realistic split.
Do you honestly think that the success of a theme is only 5-10% to do with the design?

The success of a theme is 50% design and 50% functionality, however it is not a reason to pay designer 50%. Nobody want to buy design without a well coded base, as well as nobody want to buy a clean & valid code with a third-class design.

For making a theme we need:

Developer:
  • convert PSD to HTML
  • create a valid theme with awesome features (which is biggest part of project)
  • write a docs
  • make a demo
  • release regular updates
  • and support support support…
Designer:
  • just make a design

As designer and developer in one face I can compare a total value of work and time of both sides of theme development. Design is a 50% of theme success, but it is not cost 50% at all. The fair price of design is 5-10%.

Just my 2 cents.

654 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+4 more
Gareth_Gillman says

5-10% (PSD) / 95-90% (WP) is a fair and much more realistic split.
Do you honestly think that the success of a theme is only 5-10% to do with the design?

The success of a theme is 50% design and 50% functionality, however it is not a reason to pay designer 50%. Nobody want to buy design without a well coded base, as well as nobody want to buy a clean & valid code with a third-class design.

For making a theme we need:

Developer:
  • convert PSD to HTML
  • create a valid theme with awesome features (which is biggest part of project)
  • write a docs
  • make a demo
  • release regular updates
  • and support support support…
Designer:
  • just make a design

As designer and developer in one face I can compare a total value of work and time of both sides of theme development. Design is a 50% of theme success, but it is not cost 50% at all. The fair price of design is 5-10%.

Just my 2 cents.

Buyers buy the theme on 2 things:

- features - design

You need a good coder and a good designer to make both work together and without a good design, you’re not going to sell many themes.

A developer is worth more than a designer, but a designer is needed by the developer.

Offering a designer 10% is going to iritate them and make them want to ignore you. You may not see the value in what they do but they need to be paid fairly for their work, I would offer a minimum of 25% depending on the design complexity and the designers reputation.

Just because you put 40 hours into a theme, doesn’t make you special to need to earn 90%, as the designer has probably put in the same amount of time and effort to get the design approved (psd is the hardest category to get accepted).

73 posts StrictThemes
+3 more
StrictThemes says

Just because you put 40 hours into a theme, doesn’t make you special to need to earn 90%, as the designer has probably put in the same amount of time…

Designer may spend 40 hours for making design and stop. His work will be finished at all. At the same time, developer have to spend 40.. 400.. 4000 hours for providing updates and support. The developer’s work will never be finished ;)

It’s ok if designer can provide a support too, however, originally only developer have to do that.

248 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in United Kingdom
dwhitmore says

Without the designer, your skills are completely redundant. You have nothing to code.

Therefore, the design element is worth significantly more than 5-10%. Gifted designers are a lot less common than great developers, that’s why they earn a bigger percentage vs the time spent developing/supporting.

Dan

368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

Oh man, I can’t stop laughing at the 5-10% worth of a designer. Sorry but it sounds so self-righteous. I know… it’s the constant bitching between designers and coders.

Personally, I found more designers that respect coders than the other way around. And guess what. If you come up and say that your theme’s success is based 50-50 on design and functionality, then that’s what that design is WORTH. It gives you half the shot, it’s worth half the risk or half the gold.

I’ll agreed with the 5-10% mentality when I’ll switch on the TV and hear that a Donatella Versace dress is sewed masterfully, and not beautifully designed, when people will stop praising the design of Italian cars before admiring the fact that even down to the bolts some are hand made and so on.

We have senses. 5 of them. Well, 6 if you’re a woman. :) We rely on them to make our choices. Eyes have always played the major role in a world that’s not “blind” by default.

Don’t be greedy.

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Just because you put 40 hours into a theme, doesn’t make you special to need to earn 90%, as the designer has probably put in the same amount of time…

Designer may spend 40 hours for making design and stop. His work will be finished at all. At the same time, developer have to spend 40.. 400.. 4000 hours for providing updates and support. The developer’s work will never be finished ;)

It’s ok if designer can provide a support too, however, originally only developer have to do that.

Your paw & sales speaks for itself ;)

73 posts StrictThemes
+3 more
StrictThemes says

Hey guys, do not take me wrong :) First of all, if say 5-10% it’s mean I’m talking about my vision of split as designer (not developer) and my experience in theme development as designer. Probably, somebody had take it seriously, but no need to do that. Sorry, if somebody being confused.

Anyway, many thanks for your replies. I appreciate that and partly I agreed with you. Peace!

493 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
wopethemes says

Hey guys, do not take me wrong :) First of all, if say 5-10% it’s mean I’m talking about my vision of split as designer (not developer) and my experience in theme development as designer. Probably, somebody had take it seriously, but no need to do that. Sorry, if somebody being confused. Anyway, many thanks for your replies. I appreciate that and partly I agreed with you. Peace!
The more you work here , the more you know the important of design. It’s not just a freelancer project or a design company’s project for a client.

Buyer buy item by design and features. However “design” here is not just psd. Avada is not the best design here. It’s something special and combine of many other things.

by
by
by
by
by
by