4335 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+10 more
Reaper-Media says

Good idea… Or not…

Here’s how I see it: if some person makes a BIG Activeden of Themeforest file, for example a super CMS shop with paypal, moneybrokers, invoices, themes and the works, they will want to make sure that a useable version didn’t go floating around the interwebs on warez sites. So by product activation, I mean create another envato API which will give the information of all products purchased and under which license, using that api and your own server, you could create a validation so that every so often, the file would check to see that this user is allowed to use this file under that envato username + pass, and that he/she has only done it to the number of websites that the license allows. And make the validation really hard-coded in the file.

This could also open up the possibility of 1-click updates of your php files, if you create a secure enough server and envato would allow it… Which is doubtful, at least in the short-run

but anyway, I am making this big php file which I will not describe in case someone steals my idea, and I really don’t want this file floating around for any Tom, Dick or Harry to use on their site.

Thoughts?

Reaper.

360 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
Philo01 Envato team says

+1

It would be great to track php applications. I was thinking about as well, but I don’t think it is allowed to use trace-backs in your application regarding the customer privacy.

Something like this would be nice:

1. User starts the install wizard of the application.

2. User needs to enter his Envato username and Password.

3. This data will be send to the Envato API

4. The API will check if the login is correct and if the user has purchased the application.

5. If all correct, the install wizard will continue

536 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Croatia
+2 more
darius9000 says

and what, for example, if envato server is down for several hours?

230 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
Meshach says
4. The API will check if the login is correct and if the user has purchased the application.

Easily hackable. ;)

60 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Located in Bolivia
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Slimmity says

yeah this is being done by big script companies like mint tracker or vbulletin, but theres always some bastard that comes and nulls it.. i would be a waste of time to try and do this tbh..

4335 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+10 more
Reaper-Media says

I don’t think it would be a waste of time, vbulliten is much bigger than my product will ever be, every little you try to try and stop piracy is good. No effort, no matter how useless, is a waste of time ;)

159 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
peex says
yeah this is being done by big script companies like mint tracker or vbulletin, but theres always some bastard that comes and nulls it.. i would be a waste of time to try and do this tbh..

+1

Instead of making a product activation encourage people to by legal software. With some nice campaigns (like birthday bundle), or extra freebies etc. For example if customer buys 20 products then he will get one free.

20 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
Braunson says
Easily hackable. ;)

Agreed, there is many ways around this, and even encoding with IonCube can be decoded and nulled. Say have the script retrieve news from say your site in a certain area, and you can post updates to the script but in order to download those updates via the script they need to login through Envato. Hmm. I’ll keep thinking, hold that thought.

4247 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says

I disagree with the idea. This idea is drastic and extreme. Such an idea about a strict demand to follow rules to relay information about how customers use products, well… how far will you go when you find it suitable to take the collection of information for yourselves even further? Heard of the term, Exemplary? This is like taking the law into your own hands, controlling the information of whoever obeys how you dictate for them their rights to use the products they buy from you. And then, that would mean you’d probably have to instate punishments that exceed the ones that have already been put in place. I mean, c’mon. What does Envato do now to those who they “catch” distributing envato based files illegally on the internet? “Please remove these files please.” And who actually gets in trouble for infringement? Controlling the relaying of information so that it can be punished if the user is not compliant with your rules. Hmph. Crazy. Keeping track of information, in such a way, ... now I know the reason for awareness of such violation of privacy. Who needs it though, privacy… or do we? I need privacy.

3100 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Yea I’ve thought about this too.

The only real way would be if themeforest offered some oauth feature like twitter – that could be used to confirm the user has a themeforest account and that they have infact purchased the item.

But for ongoing use or preventing someone from copying the script after setup, you would need to encrypt the php and make it read from some 3rd party licensing server.

Would be cool to setup but quite a bit involved to make something that is hard for majority of coders to break.

by
by
by
by
by
by