256 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Belgium
+9 more
Sitebase says

I was brainstorming about a way how we could protect our marketplace items better against illegal sharing on other websites.

I came up with a nifty way that if Envato would implement this, that we could know what users shared wich files.

The way you could do this is when a user downloads a files that their user id or email is added to the comment field of the zipped script. This can be done very easily like this:

$zip = new ZipArchive();
$res = $zip->open('script.zip');
if($res === true) {
    $zip->setArchiveComment('user_1345435');
    $zip->close();
} 

// Download zip code here

When the file now is shared on other websites, the evato staff can download a copy, read out the comment field and find out wich user shared that file.

Of course, if a user deletes this comment tag from the zip it will not work but I’m sure 99% of the users here doesn’t know a zip file has a comment field, let alone know how to edit it.

NechitaPaulFlavius
NechitaPaulFlavius Recent Posts Threads Started
311 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
NechitaPaulFlavius says

Great idea but I think those users that might not have a clue on how to, will sure try to find out now that this thread is available.And my guess is the people that do this kind of “acts of vandalism” have a medium knowledge on how to use a machine and it’s apps.

But a great start, and maybe with some help this will lead to a great protection system for our files.

2195 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+13 more
mpc says

Nice idea, worth trying! :)

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

good idea but impraticable due to the cloud used to serve files

99 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Belgium
+2 more
krike says

I think this isn’t a bad idea at all. This would be one step forward to protect authors. But then again like NechitaPaulFlavius said, it isn’t a great idea to post in the forum how you will track rippers.

3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
joshncampbell says

I agree on all thoughts presented. Even though it’s posted on the forum it would at least reduce the number of illegally shared files. That is a good start.

256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Belgium
+9 more
Sitebase says

I don’t think discuss this in a public forum is a problem. There was also a public decussion about how to protect your javascript files from stealing a while back. But I still catch 4 to 5 members a week with this system that are trying to steal my scripts.

263 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
MushinDesign says

Something definitely needs to be done, the last theme I had accepted, I googled the name of it a couple hours after it was accepted and found several sites putting it up for download… after a couple of hours :(

Good idea though Sitebase :)

3951 posts After Effects Templates
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
miseld says

I was brainstorming about a way how we could protect our marketplace items better against illegal sharing on other websites.

I came up with a nifty way that if Envato would implement this, that we could know what users shared wich files.

The way you could do this is when a user downloads a files that their user id or email is added to the comment field of the zipped script. This can be done very easily like this:

$zip = new ZipArchive();
$res = $zip->open('script.zip');
if($res === true) {
    $zip->setArchiveComment('user_1345435');
    $zip->close();
} 

// Download zip code here

When the file now is shared on other websites, the evato staff can download a copy, read out the comment field and find out wich user shared that file.

Of course, if a user deletes this comment tag from the zip it will not work but I’m sure 99% of the users here doesn’t know a zip file has a comment field, let alone know how to edit it.

+1

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

it can’t be done.
downloads are hosted on external cloud, the file can’t be altered by adding user related data right before serving the zip.

by
by
by
by
by
by