951 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
Giallo says

Great tool thanks for sharing, I didn’t try it yet but let me know if you need a tester when you implement Graphicriver :D

77 posts We are CreateIT. We create IT.
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
createit-pl says

Thanks ZxxxZ for this awesome feedback! So, lets dig into details:

So, not to hijack your thread but I’ve also been collecting some data on themeforest market to understand why some themes sold better and for some other project.

No worries. Seems that our motivations were the same :) That’s how it started

Here, on plot: item count and author count in function of time as a proof:

\\

So I understand that it required some work on your part, and don’t want to sound negative – but I would be a bit scared of publishing authors’ earnings in so open way.

Sure, there are up there, in the open, you just need to do some math – but… As future author I would rather discuss items sold rather than money. Sure they are basically the same thing, but dollar sign in discussion just makes some people behave bad:( I have already saw that once on this forum, an attack on author “you are making so much money, so you have no right to complain” [wording changed].

I’m also not sure if comparing authors on $$$ and building ranking around (just) that is good idea, I would prefer to think that rather than directly competing authors of themeforest are together building a bigger market. Also focusing on items sold seems just plain more useful to me.

This is very good point. Can’t agree more that people behave strange when it comes to money, but I treat this money thing as a side effect of analytics we do there. This tool is dedicated to other authors. Some may say it’s motivating, some other (like me and probably you) will try to see some trends and somehow use them in the future. Publishing $$$ results is just a side effect.

Right now I have a feeling, that “money” topic is explored to max in Marketplaces Monitor, as this was simply quite easy to implement. There is still a lot to do in pure analytics & intelligence, like tags-that-generate-sales, most profitable categories etc (I’ve posted the TODO list few posts ago). The point is, that this tool is not suppoused to be pure who-earns-how-much thingy, we want to make it more complex and really helpful resource for authors, to help them make aware decisions on what to publish next.

So hopefuly the more features we have there, the less income graphs will be visible, causing less emotions. And we will definetely add sign-out feature for those authors, who don’t want to be tracked.

On the other hand ability to discuss money openly is a mark of maturity that community has reached, and let’s be honest majority of themeforest users will not visit that page. But if you decide to go with it, at least add some more things to the page:)

Well, I don’t want to offend anyone, don’t get me wrong, but then again I’d feel that it would be a bit hypocritical to be indignant that we publish financial data. If we were hacking anything, revealing some nonpublic data then yes, situation is clear. But right now it’s just a matter of using the calculator right way, that’s not us who publish such data, we’re just modeling it. Ah, that’s such a pity that money is always such a delicate thing to talk about :)

Regarding features – hey, this is why we released a public beta! We want to hear the feedback from most interested people and implement lots of new features there :)

As for other support and suggestions: - sadly there are many important factors that you can not monitor – like any external marketing that authors are doing: blogs, freebies, social marketing, ads

Yeah, this is painful. We have some ideas though how to do estimates on that.. so stay tuned! :)

- (for the authors) past data not always is a good predictor of the future and acting on intel gained by analytics is a skill in itself - just plotting data will make you see interesting things but without good data mining skill you will be unable to explain them [this is where I’m now:( ]

True. We will soon have good foundations for interpreting the data.. once we have it, I will feel that the project is really done :) This is what that tool is for.

- it’s also hard to tell apart something from just noise, like on this picture (admin template sales in time): \\

I think more complex analysis is required here: sales is the result, “success factors” are different. Of course we cannot measure “Factor X” which makes an item bestseller, but we can measure tags it used (which says pretty much about used style), reputation of its author, exposure on mainpage and/or some other highlights, number of item updates… even number of comments tells us something. I’m not saying there is some mathematical formula that needs to be solved to have a good seller item, but some conclusions for sure can be made. And we will try to publish such conclusions.

All in all, another side effect of this tool is that it will eventually lead to improvement of what authors publish on TF & CC. If we assume that good selling item = item that audience is looking for, then if we managed to find out what are the key factors to make item selling good, authors could make items that audience is really looking for. Finally this would make authors happy (better incomes), audience happy (more useful items) and Envato (higher turnovers).

I’ve heard some voices that we should keep such intel for ourselves to gain competition advantage. I say: in short-term maybe yes, but in long-term it’s a win-win situation to make it public. The better overall quality of the marketplace, the more people are there buying things, the more money on the market, the more to earn for me as an author.

Thanks again ZxxxZ for your insights!

+5 more
createit-pl says

What I don’t like is the Chrome extensions. It’s to obtrusively.
You should hide it by default and reveal it with a click

We have just updated it :) This big bar is now gone, in exchange we added a third tab (next to “item details” and “comments” tabs) on item page, if you click it – summary graph will appear.

Hope it’s better now :)

5485 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

Just a heads up ( not sure if it affects you )

Your easypiecharts, we use these in our site. I noticed today on retina the canvas gets squashed. I have logged a bug report on github. Havent tested your site on retina, so may not apply.

Ste

320 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
SuggeElson says

Send me email to help you styling this basic flot charts :)

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Netherlands
k_dawn says

Nice job on the report for the Marketplace. I wonder why we never got such reports from Envato itself, or am I missing something?

http://marketplaces-monitor.createit.pl/reports/april-2013-on-themeforest

1257 posts
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
harmonikas996 says

I love statistics :)

31 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+1 more
MarketProper says

The server returned a “500 Internal Server Error”.

+5 more
createit-pl says

The server returned a “500 Internal Server Error”.

We’re online again :)

234 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
Stammi says

This, createIT, is just awesome! Really, keep up the good work! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by