I think there’s a free add-on for 3ds max that can do this easily.
If you use a new version of 3ds max please check out export menu, too
- Community Moderator
- Author had a Free File of the Month
- Most Wanted Bounty Winner
- Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
- Has been a member for 4-5 years
- Contributed a Blog Post
- Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
I’ve had success in the past using the free blender 3d tool when needing to convert various model files for 3d printing, you may have some success there. Lots of converters available last time I checked.
Yeah I use Blender for basic modelling, it only supports .3ds, though not .max unfortunately