ActionFoundry says

The baby brother of Megaupload is born:

[link removed]

153 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
wpminima says

Watched a statement on twitter from Kim saying that the service already had 100.000 users in the first hour :D

63 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
AgentVIP says

I’d imagine we’re going to have to tread carefully in this topic.

So the site got some 250,000 registrations within the first couple of hours, and is already reported to be over 500,000 members. It’s apparently all totally encrypted, but they keep a record of essentially everything you do (communication logs, traffic data, site useage, any personal data, IP addresses…). Although, you do get a 50GB storage limit, and 500GB for just $9.99 a month, which is some pretty good value for money!

What I find strange, is that although It’s encrypted; the site will delete your file if it finds a user that has uploaded an identical file (you will still be able to access it). I’m not sure how that works with the ‘everything is encrypted, oh but we can still read your files and determine if it is the same as someone elses’ front. But, I’m sure someone could explain that.

Also, you have remember that this is a craetion of Kim Dotcom (The same guy who doesn’t really care about anything other than benefitting himself; used to steal credit cards; work with authorities; claimed to hack a bank to transfer money to another organisation illegally.. etc). I think I’ll wait a while to see how everyone gets on with it.

1034 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says

What I find strange, is that although It’s encrypted; the site will delete your file if it finds a user that has uploaded an identical file (you will still be able to access it). I’m not sure how that works with the ‘everything is encrypted, oh but we can still read your files and determine if it is the same as someone elses’ front. But, I’m sure someone could explain that.

If you encrypt the same thing twice they will match, that’s how you do secure password checks,

Encrypt “password” to “5baa61e4c9b93f3f0682250b6cf8331b7ee68fd8” and search the database for “5baa61e4c9b93f3f0682250b6cf8331b7ee68fd8”

109 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
designedbydash says

If you encrypt the same thing twice they will match, that’s how you do secure password checks,

Encrypt “password” to “5baa61e4c9b93f3f0682250b6cf8331b7ee68fd8” and search the database for “5baa61e4c9b93f3f0682250b6cf8331b7ee68fd8”

Except everyone has a unique encryption key that’s unique to their account (i think), therefore that wouldn’t be possible as the two hashes wouldn’t match.

63 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
AgentVIP says

Except everyone has a unique encryption key that’s unique to their account (i think), therefore that wouldn’t be possible as the two hashes wouldn’t match.

This. And according to their TOS, the files are encrypted client side; meaning two identical files would have two different hashes due to the client key.

EDIT: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5084346

1034 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says

This. And according to their TOS, the files are encrypted client side; meaning two identical files would have two different hashes due to the client key.

Oh. Ignore me then :)

2075 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+9 more
revaxarts says

... the site will delete your file if it finds a user that has uploaded an identical file..

Any official on this? This would prevent some illegal distribution of files if I’m the first who upload my files there, or not?

40 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+1 more
orbitalplugins says

... the site will delete your file if it finds a user that has uploaded an identical file..
Any official on this? This would prevent some illegal distribution of files if I’m the first who upload my files there, or not?

They are encrypted first on the client side with a key that is unique to the uploader, so Mega will have no idea if there is identical files on their servers.

153 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
wpminima says

If the people who distrubute your material illegally just zip it inside another zip won’t that just be read as a different file? :)

by
by
by
by
by
by