• Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
AgentVIP says

Any official on this? This would prevent some illegal distribution of files if I’m the first who upload my files there, or not?

It’s in their Terms of Service:

8. Our service may automatically delete a piece of data you upload or give someone else access to where it determines that that data is an exact duplicate of original data already on our service. In that case, you will access that original data.

So by ‘delete your file’, I think it’s perhaps more of a space saving technique? Then again, I’m not sure how it would work if one of the users deletes their file? I’d imagine, it would be an empty action as it cannot be deleted (as other people still access it). Similarly, I wonder who has legal responsibility over the files (i.e. which uploader).

It’s nice to be able to actually read a terms of service agreement without getting confused with the copious amounts of technical and legal jumbo too. A ToS that people can actually read, understand and comfortably agree to.

106 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
KurtBilisim says

They may record some kind of checksum. Both files having same size and same checksum could be assumed to be the same. Unless you know their checksum formula and intentionally create 2 same sized but different files producing same checksum, chances are those files are the same i guess. So if one of the files is zipped, it is considered a different file.

Small files could produce same checksums so maybe they do this only for big files to save space.

by
by
by
by
by
by