600 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Hey guys, checked out the new microlancer marketplace that envato just launched. First of all, well done envato it’s very cool and I think it’s a pretty neat idea. But now to the elephant in the room that I think all the AudioJungle authors who will visit it will notice:

How come Audio services have been omitted?

Yeah, this program is fantastic for PhotoDune, GraphicRiver etc. authors but I think our boys here at AudioJungle can definitely hold our own there too.

I have seen the current prices on the site and I understand some authors here won’t work at that price but I think plenty of others will.

I’d love to hear from the dev’s if perhaps something for Audio is being developed. I do understand that it’s still Beta but I’d like to know if it is a possible new way for some of us to get more work.

distillerystudio
distillerystudio Recent Posts Threads Started
104 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
distillerystudio says

Seconded.

1443 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
LumenMedia says

I am also can do some photo, video and graphics project. Do i need to register as new user for participation in microlancer?

293 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
SchwartzSound says

Sorry, I don’t like to be a negative nancy, but a 30% skim off the top is pretty ridiculous if you ask me, and would have me running for the hills. I do a lot of freelance work via the web, and in the online freelancing world even 8%-10% that some of the biggest freelance hubs take as commission is considered highway robbery by customers and service providers alike. And they provide full dispute resolution and a wider host of other admin and peace-of-mind features/services as well. I know a number of clients who even consider the few small percent fees PayPal charges on most transactions to be avoided at all costs.

I get that coming from a stock marketplace background where the income is “passive” and giving up 50% or more commission to the middle man is pretty much the norm, to Envato 30% may seem like a generous offer, but for actual services that require active labor, that’s just plain greedy and unfair to both customers and providers alike in my opinion. Would you pay an agent 30% commission? I don’t think so, and they’re actively trying to find you work…

https://www.microlancer.com/faq
582 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
+2 more
tacoMusic says

+1 ShwartzSound, that’s not a fair deal at all in my eyes either. The agents I’ve been contact with charge anything from 8-15% with the latter part of that scale belonging to the bigger agencies.

1180 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

30%?!!! No thanks.

The top agent for film composers doesn’t even get close to 30%! (I appreciate this is a slightly different case, but still….)

I can go to a trade show at my own expense and probably meet more creatives in a day and generate more work for myself AND not have to pay a middleman.

And even if I don’t get any work, I’d still have a bunch of possible contacts/friends.

I’m sure there will be takers for audio on Microlancer. Good luck to them! But umm…thanks but no thanks.

The idea itself has potential, but for audio it would need to be way more thought out and examined from the perspective of our industry, and not just lumped in with all the graphic/visual design stuff currently on Microlancer.

Just one more thing, I have passed on work to my friends before that I wasn’t able to take on myself (commercials/trailers) – and I haven’t ever taken more than 20%.

100 posts
+2 more
randomnoise says

+1 Schwartzsound

Aside from these comission rates, I think services like microlancer devalue the market for freelancers as a whole. It’s like an online arena where envato puts its willing gladiators to fight by suggesting ridiculously low prices. And then taking 30% off the top?

Do you guys really wish for this in regards to composing and producing music?

At least now we know where most of envatos efforts in regards to developement of its marketplaces went during the last months. All of these efforts could have gone into improving the existing marketplaces. This could have been our improved search system for audiojungle.

663 posts Allegro120 Composer
+5 more
Allegro120 says

I think this would be the beginning of the end. AudioJungle devalue and entire industry “Royalty free”. Many composers are autonomous and live AudioJungle of this business. If revenues fall could not pay the taxes of each country … therefore we would have to withdraw all our music market “Royalty free”.

I think Envato has to be very careful with what you are doing, you have to mature ideas, because this can lead to a major setback for all. The problem is that someone will drop their prices … and eventually reach $ 1 per track two minutes.

Also remember to take the opportunity to go up 1 or 2 dollars per track and add a third license.

Hope Envato makers take into account all this, people have always been very consistent.

distillerystudio
distillerystudio Recent Posts Threads Started
104 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+1 more
distillerystudio says

I don’t do a great deal of freelance work, but read your post with interest as this is an area I am pursuing.

I am interested as to whether there are any Envato staff that wish to offer an more thorough explanation to the 30% platform fee than what is provided on the microlancer website?

Sorry, I don’t like to be a negative nancy, but a 30% skim off the top is pretty ridiculous if you ask me, and would have me running for the hills. I do a lot of freelance work via the web, and in the online freelancing world even 8%-10% that some of the biggest freelance hubs take as commission is considered highway robbery by customers and service providers alike. And they provide full dispute resolution and a wider host of other admin and peace-of-mind features/services as well. I know a number of clients who even consider the few small percent fees PayPal charges on most transactions to be avoided at all costs.

I get that coming from a stock marketplace background where the income is “passive” and giving up 50% or more commission to the middle man is pretty much the norm, to Envato 30% may seem like a generous offer, but for actual services that require active labor, that’s just plain greedy and unfair to both customers and providers alike in my opinion. Would you pay an agent 30% commission? I don’t think so, and they’re actively trying to find you work…

https://www.microlancer.com/faq
600 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Ok… clearly a lot of authors here have very established careers. I’ve never even heard of agents that sell my music for me. I guess I should look into that, I always assumed everyone here was self-represented like myself.

But yeah, on the other end I think there are plenty of “willing gladiators” as RandomNoise so epically put it. I’ll be honest, I really need the money right now (especially as I’m learning how expensive Sydney is) and I also want to advance my career anyway possible and this definitely beats doing student film projects for free. So yeah, “they have my lance” should they ask for it.

I definitely understand why an author with an established career/one who makes a lot here on AudioJungle can do without this type of work. But I think there are plenty of mid-rank authors like myself who are ready to do the work hence I think microlance should have an audio section.

by
by
by
by
by
by