• Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
+1 more
greenline says

I must say I expected something else from microlancer. I thought the approach will be: customers will post their projects and then the interested service providers will apply to those projects.

But I see the approach is viceversa: providers post their services and customers choose a provider for their project…

I wish microlancer a lot of success, but honestly I just do not see customers logging-in and looking into a list of >100 service providers to find the most suitable for his job/project.

2269 posts Community Team
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+13 more
contrastblack Staff says

I wish microlancer a lot of success, but honestly I just do not see customers logging-in and looking into a list of >100 service providers to find the most suitable for his job/project.

Sorry to say this, but how’s that any different than having totally obscure “service providers” bid on your project, and having to dig through a few hundred bids, most from guys who can’t even show you 1 bit of proof of their competence? :D

If anything, flipping the concept should make the life of both parties easier :

-Service providers need to focus on offering quality preview material and reasonable prices, well worded descriptions of what they do, instead of manually spamming hundreds of projects with bids in hopes of getting 1-2 jobs (effectively neglecting the actual representation of their skills)

-Clients have a clear request in mind, and given the proper distribution under categories together with a functional search, they should be able to find the closest Service Provider that fits their needs, and assign the job much sooner than any other selection process, simply based on the visual feedback they gather.

Please let me know how my perspective is wrong on this, while I still have time to decide :D Cheers.

719 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
+1 more
greenline says

It is different, because for instance, when I post a project, even if I receive 200 applications for my project, I know that people who applied are interested (otherwise I might look and find service providers who are great, but they do not have time for my project, they might not be interested or so, so I’ll have to spend a loooot of time looking for the good & available candidate)

In the other scenario I just see myself looking for providers, explaining maybe to 10 providers what I need, then they might say that they do not have time for it, not interested, or the price is not good and so on.

I might be wrong (and my English is not perfect).... I do not want someone to be upset because of what I say about this especially because I know how much work has been put into creating this….

But I really see a great potential in microlancer if for instance people who post now in general forums threads like “looking for provider to help me customize X and Y” would have the possibility to do the same, but in microlancer. I work in 3 other freelancing websites and I see a lot (and I really mean it – a lot!) of people asking every day for themeforest themes customizations for instance.

Just ignore me please if I am wrong :)

2269 posts Community Team
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+13 more
contrastblack Staff says

Oh relax, your English is just great :) Dropping you a line through your profile page, just so I don’t clutter up this thread with my “short” posts

p.s: nobody is offended here! :D

839 posts Envato Studio Communications Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+3 more
Jordan_M Staff says

@Jordan: I received my early beta invitation last month and only yesterday I wanted to create & start providing services but I am taken to a registration page when I have already registered?? Username: ShermanJackson

Please login to Microlancer, then access this page: http://www.microlancer.com/become-a-provider

Please accept the terms and conditions then fill out your profile. After you’ve done all of that you will be able to create a service.

• Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
+3 more
Jordan_M Staff says

One question: can I transfer my money from Microlancer to e.g. ThemeForest account and then at the end of the month withdraw everything or there is separate earnings account for Microlancer independent of Envato marketplace?

Unfortunately you can’t do that at this time. Maybe in the future though! But shared finances are a while off.

• Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
+3 more
Jordan_M Staff says

Am I stupid or I cannot see motion graphics section? :S

Not stupid! We’ve only launched in graphic design categories, but we’ll be expanding soon. Video is our most requested addition now, so I can’t imagine it’s too far off.

• Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
+3 more
Jordan_M Staff says

Great idea! I used to use scriptlance back in the day, miss it.

SUGGESTION: Have some kind of ESCROW Service built into it—in hiring microlancers/coders for over a decade, I’ve found that’s absolutely critical, so that:

a) coders deliver what they promised, on time, and

b) buyers don’t add lots of features midway through projects.

So the buyer puts in project fee upfront, it’s held in escrow; on completion of the project to buyers’ satisfaction the funds are released to the coder; the site arbitrates any disputes. Also important is a GOOD FEEDBACK rating system, not a single-dimension star one.

That’s actually how it works! We take payment from buyers and hold it in a trust account for the service provider until the job is successfully completed or a dispute is resolved.

We know it’s important to get ratings right. We’re on it!

• Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
+3 more
Jordan_M Staff says

Am I stupid or I cannot see motion graphics section? :S

They are only launching with “design” related services, but I also wish there were more services.

However, this is of little importance, we still haven’t got our beta tester badge and this needs to be addressed as a priority :P

I just put in the ticket for y’all to get it!

• Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
+3 more
Jordan_M Staff says

Are there any plans to expand this platform to cover a wider range of media related services? I’m talking about video editing, motion graphics, audio creation, website development and the like.

Absolutely there is, and we’re taking community feedback on what you want to see.

http://www.microlancer.com/contacts/new
by
by
by
by
by
by