• Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

What are the key arguments here:

iPad: Apple was first, it looks better, their presentation was better

Surface: It has all the features iPad should had in the first place.

Think carefully about that for a second ;)

47 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
eduvoindo says

The worst computer viruses (and probalbly the only real one) is right in between users screen and their chair backrest.

No antivirus for those :P

6023 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

iPad:
Apple was first, it looks better, their presentation was better

Surface:
It has all the features iPad should had in the first place.

huh… Personally I understand Surface has some outstanding features but only time will tell if people really need those. Apple didn’t took the risk of complicating it and so far they are clear about tablet user and laptop user needs extremely different features. But Microsoft seems to be under the confusion of what will make Tablet users life easier, just my opinion after looking the presentation.

954 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
aleluja says

Coding a website on a tablet – priceless. And all coding generally. I’d love to see that.

320 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
jwmcpeak says

There are two reasons for viruses for windows: Users by default run an Admin account, and it’s the most popular platform.

There’s a third reason: the majority of people are ignorant when it comes to computers and software (really anything technical).

500 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Germany
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+5 more
GraficAndMedia says

I think surface is a nice thing. I allways wanted to have a iPad, but what do I need it really for? I can just get inspiration by browsing images, but I cant really work with that. But here comes surface. I can use it as my normal computer and work with photoshop. When I am going somewhere, I just need to grab the tablet and work on projects – whereever I want. I think its a good solution for working without the boundaries that are between a PC and a tablet.

4662 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

iPad:
Apple was first, it looks better, their presentation was better

Surface:
It has all the features iPad should had in the first place.
huh… Personally I understand Surface has some outstanding features but only time will tell if people really need those. Apple didn’t took the risk of complicating it and so far they are clear about tablet user and laptop user needs extremely different features. But Microsoft seems to be under the confusion of what will make Tablet users life easier, just my opinion after looking the presentation.

Yup basically what I was saying, the iPad is a simplified product – designed that way on purpose. You need a mac to use an iPad, its not standalone like Surface which is why they refer to it as a PC, not a tablet in the presentation. iPad is a gimmicky toy, Surface is a portable touchscreen computer.

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
WPWiseOwl says

I see the ARM Surface Tablet competing against the iPad while I see the Intel one going up against the Macbook Air. However, I expect the public will mostly think they both are meant to compete against the iPad and won’t understand the reasoning for the two model approach (let alone what Windows RT is).

The iPad will continue to appeal to the audience that prefers a device with a limited OS and aesthetic form factor over function. The Surface’s form is pretty sleek though IMO . App availability would also seem to be a moot point if most existing W7 Apps can be run directly on the Surface or brought over natively in mere days / weeks. Neither Google or Apple could claim the same and likely both even together haven’t a larger software ecosystem.

I have an iPad, a Galaxy S II , MS 360 , etc. So I’m not really loyal to any particular brand / OS. I also do development for both the Windows desktop OS as well as iOS. I like what I’ve seen with unified W8 core approach. I also like how W8 functions of a desktop. Anyone who hasn’t tried the current release preview (using a VM at least) can’t possibly comment pragmatically IMO .

I don’t have an iPad because I don’t need one. I won’t have a Surface, because it sucks big time. I know how that sounds, but it’s just my opinion after seeing their amazingly bad presentation. :-)

I’ve noticed that when I’ve closed my mind to something, I’m far more inclined to find fault with it. So, I viewed this presentation with an open mind and I don’t think it was that bad at all. However, I’m also not the type of person who would pass judgement on tech I’ve not yet used enough yet. Those who would dismiss it outright before launch / actual use are just silly IMO . :-)

4662 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

I don’t have an iPad because I don’t need one. I won’t have a Surface, because it sucks big time. I know how that sounds, but it’s just my opinion after seeing their amazingly bad presentation. :-)

Yeah this goes back to my previous points, pro Apple supporter doesn’t need an iPad, why? Cos its unnecessary…Surface sucks big time, why? Because its not Apple, and their presentation was bad… i.e. their marketing campaign didn’t sell me the idea like Apple did.

Slap an apple logo on the Surface and have the same presentation for it, and everyone will be queuing for days at the stores for one. :D

6023 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

^ I just bought iPad for testing reasons but later found it has more ease on non-professional usage (mostly for reading). Regardless of it is Apple or Samsung or windows I see there is much demand in the future for simple tablets for these 2 reasons alone:

1. Reading
2. Search

(just forget about social network etc)

Both doesn’t need hardcore features like physical keyboard or pen for a layman. The amount of consumers that requires keyboard for a Tablet would be negligible and may want only for professional needs.

If we think simplified tablets are not much of a need, it will be similar to denying mobile phones. The reading habit and its evolution going to be unavoidable in the future due to vast amount of info people depend on nowadays.

Btw, if Apple really releases complex stuff like this… honestly their user base will start reducing.

by
by
by
by
by
by