• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

Sorry for double post, edit time has passed and wanted to share this: \\
There’s an important lesson to be learnt in this, as technology progresses, hair lines recede!

lol I started to lose my hair as soon as the dot com boom happened :D

I’m afraid to watch the Microsoft presentation after hearing they botched it :D. But I remember the same thing happening in one of the iPad keynotes (the one where Jobs got angry with the croud about not shutting off their Wifi) and it didn’t matter much.

3674 posts Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

lol I started to lose my hair as soon as the dot com boom happened :D I’m afraid to watch the Microsoft presentation after hearing they botched it :D. But I remember the same thing happening in one of the iPad keynotes (the one where Jobs got angry with the croud about not shutting off their Wifi) and it didn’t matter much.

They blew it a bit more though, and this one went quite viral to add to the missery ;)

178 posts Challenge accepted.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Austria
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
bloooming says

hmmm….

667 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
ZtarrZound says

^^ Doesnt that go for any tablet with an attachable keyboard?

4520 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

If you read Steve Job’s “Thoughts on Flash conclusion” and read between the lines, you can see he provides a very lose argument for dropping Flash. Lets follow along :D

Flash was created during the PC era – for PCs and mice. (<- Basically saying Apple invented touchscreen tablets now, so rollover commands no longer work on Flash sites, and that now all Flash sites have to be rewritten, that’s almost assuming everyone will be using a touchscreen from now on, also HTML sites have rollovers too, so its the same amount of effort opening an AS class file or HTML page to fix this rollover issue – very loose argument) Flash is a successful business for Adobe, and we can understand why they want to push it beyond PCs. (<- Basically saying Adobe is successful and a competitor so we want to kill them off. Also lets not forget Flash Video hurts their beloved Quicktime Player) But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards – all areas where Flash falls short. (<- Falls short now because touchscreens just came out, in time this would have been resolved, plus the touchscreen rollover issue would be easily corrected so redundant statement. Yes Flash isnt “open” but neither is Apple, including its App Store so as a whole they are one of the biggest closed systems in the technology market. Also for performance, if the tablet sector became huge, then Flash developers could always ensure Flash sites were optimized to run smoothly and not be resource heavy, just like we optimize the SWF for download speeds)

The avalanche of media outlets offering their content for Apple’s mobile devices demonstrates that Flash is no longer necessary to watch video or consume any kind of web content. And the 250,000 apps on Apple’s App Store proves that Flash isn’t necessary for tens of thousands of developers to create graphically rich applications, including games. (<- Now this is a really unconvincing statement, Steve suggests don’t play all the million free Flash games out there, BUY the ones from our app store and play those… )

New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5 , will win on mobile devices (and PCs too). Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind. (<- So basically Adobe must not criticize Apple and must forget one of their most successful product of 10 years and drop it because touchscreens are now apparently the future and Flash is now the past, yes Steve Flash is the past on your devices, but you should wait for your competitors to come out before making such a bold statement!)

I’m looking forward to seeing what impact Microsoft Surface has on the tablet market :)

939 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

^ Couldn’t agree more.

2055 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

blablabalbalbalbalbalbalballablablablablablab

I completely respect your opinion, however this thread is about Microsoft Surface, not Flash. And also, I’d take your opinion more seriously if you weren’t an ActiveDen author.

404 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+1 more
smudgethis says
4520 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

http://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/technology/video/2012/jun/21/microsoft-surface-error-windows-video Just beautiful!

Haha yeh they really messed up there, and if the cliche of IE being such a bad browser wasn’t enough, and that happening on their new Surface, incredibly ironic. I’d love to be a fly on the wall backstage, after he was done presenting haha.

1257 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

There are two reasons for viruses for windows: Users by default run an Admin account, and it’s the most popular platform.
There’s a third reason: the majority of people are ignorant when it comes to computers and software (really anything technical).

+1 I have to keep reminding myself of this constantly… when I talk with normal people about anything techie on pcs, like css compatibility and cloud storage, their eyes kinda glaze over… :p

and great points digitalscience, your observations are right on the money. fwiw i still wish flash was alive, i bought a ton o stuff on flashden and like coding in it myself, it’s a neat animation platform. Maybe if MS Surface being flash-compatible pressures ipad to restore/add flash, there’s hope for it’s continuing on. I mean, flash games you can’t do in JS/html5, and all the other stuff.

by
by
by
by
by
by