596 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
MikeMoloney says

just going to comment on this thread because I started it, and wanted to say thanks for the “feedback”, along with the arguments, opinions, and more. It has been quite interesting to read, and I am now convinced that I definitely want to try the Surface out ;)

1093 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
lifwanian says

I think the idea is great, but being a Microsoft product, will have problems, viruses, etc.. I mean they can’t even get their products right for presentations… Check out this video:

http://www.wimp.com/newtablet/
6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

I think the idea is great, but being a Microsoft product, will have problems, viruses, etc.. I mean they can’t even get their products right for presentations… Check out this video: http://www.wimp.com/newtablet/

Once IE opened, it hanged. (when he said I can browse smoothly!)

Now I see why there is so much hatred towards ms. They deserve it :D

3715 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

someone should invent some screen with no finger prints I have an idea on how to fix this, but it could worth billions so I’m not sharing, sorry. :)

It exists but is not yet commercially available. It might be in a year or two..

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

Oh man, do people realize how old this technology is? Those claiming they copied Apple are embarrassing. Surface seems to be a nice device, but they presented it in a really awkward way.

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

I think the idea is great, but being a Microsoft product, will have problems, viruses, etc..

not so sure I agree about the viruses. Haven’t had a virus since Windows XP, and seems like now that Mac usage is up you hear more about problems on that side now.

4668 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

I think the idea is great, but being a Microsoft product, will have problems, viruses, etc..
not so sure I agree about the viruses. Haven’t had a virus since Windows XP, and seems like now that Mac usage is up you hear more about problems on that side now.

Agreed I’ve had a PC for years and cant remember the last time I had a virus. If you running AVG you should never have a problem. The whole Mac’s don’t get viruses and PC’s do is just fear tactics to peddle their goods.

1093 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
lifwanian says

Agreed I’ve had a PC for years and cant remember the last time I had a virus. If you running AVG you should never have a problem. The whole Mac’s don’t get viruses and PC’s do is just fear tactics to peddle their goods.

^ True. However, I think this is more for us “professionals”. I just graduated from University of Oregon, and knowing a lot of young people, the ones with Windows are constantly having PC problems… It’s also since being a Computer Science major, I know what sites tend to be bad…

4668 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

Dunno why there is always so much hype when another competitor to Apple releases a product similar to Apple’s, but with better functionality. Maybe Apple did it first but they release their new technology prematurely to control market share, it’s pretty obvious. Look at what they did with iPhone, one of the first touch screen phones, but it couldn’t record video, no camera flash, no optical zoom, it couldn’t send MMS , when every other competitor phone on the market could do all those things. But what they do, they say things like, this phone is the future, it looks like the future technology in your hands today. They quite easily leave out key features and sell you on the idea why you must have it today, regardless of what they’ve left out. And then a year later what do they do, release a second generation of the item which looks the same, just with those missing features implemented like it was no problem. And then everyone with generation 1 item goes rushing out to get generation 2 item :D Same with the iPad, maybe there wasn’t enough time to perfect the Flash support, or fine tune the power so it would not use up battery, but what do they do, say Flash technology which has been around for years and is majority of web is a resource hog, it’s not the future.. so we leaving it out, buy our product, this is the future in your hands today. Its clear as day, that they sell you on the idea that you must have it, based on it’s status and design, regardless of functionality purely to control marketshare. Then a competitor comes out with a similar item with all the features it should have, and then everyone says they copied Apple, they were first. But the reality is those competitors are bringing out a more functional product, take away the bells and whistles and media hype of Apple and you’ll see their products are substandard. Then the other thing is Apple releases items on purpose with things missing, and you have to buy them from the App Store, it’s just another way they take your money for features you should had the whole time. So what’s so great about Apple, there stuff looks great, but it’s more expensive, they dont have the features other products have, plus you have to pay for all of the Apps, and you can only fix your Apple product at an Apple store. It’s a closed system designed to maximize profits, they are more illusionists than innovators in my opinion, and very very good at marketing and creating hype.

Compare the live presentation of iPad and Surface, you can see the budget on marketing was a lot more for Apple, they did a flawless presentation, well thought out speeches to create hype. They even use Neuro-linguistic programming by repeating or highlighting key words – its all about marketing..that is how they sell their items…. Surface presentation was sloppy and casual, but they show the item as it is, no bells and whistles.

484 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
+6 more
omarabid says

There are two reasons for viruses for windows: Users by default run an Admin account, and it’s the most popular platform.

Do that for the Mac, and it’ll have the same problems.

by
by
by
by
by
by