68 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
rblalock says

Yes I think that’s a good idea and helpful. There isn’t a lot of people doing it and it would mean the first site that actively sells mobile themes….which would be good for TF.

For those asking how to dev for mobiles: http://mobiforge.com/ http://mtld.mobi/

The mobile world is completely different than the web. Thousands of devices that render HTML differently (You thought IE6 was bad), etc.

Getting in to mobile development is not for the faint of heart!

204 posts Bold WordPress Theme Development
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
srhnbr says
But what if we added a subcategory – that perhaps isn’t featured on the home page? Say, for example, that I love Brandon’s Atlantica template. I could then have the option of also purchasing the mobile add-on for X dollars. Would this be intriguing to you guys – as both authors and sellers?

I like that idea too. But there needs to be away for people to see that (to keep to your example) Brandon’s Atlantica template comes with this and this add on, available in this category.

So maybe this information can be in the item’s sidebar and links to the “add ons” category directly to Brandon’s Atlantica-available-add ons and not to the category in general.

And I agree that this opens the door to a number of cool ideas like epicera said. :)

699 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says
Yeah I don’t think many people are likely to buy standalone mobile websites… I vote increasing the price of templates that include a mobile version =)

+1

699 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says

When I think of this…. maybe we could do a subcategory just for mobile versions of our temps. Then someone can buy it separate and also to have an option to buy html+mobile version for a small discount?

For example:

HTML template is 15$
Mobile version of the same is whatever, 10$
Combined it would cost you 20$

Dev’s will have more work to do on integrating this purchase option into the system.

951 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Daan says
HTML template is 15$
Mobile version of the same is whatever, 10$
Combined it would cost you 20$ Dev’s will have more work to do on integrating this purchase option into the system.

Heh nice idea, but true..

I played with the idea of creating a mobile admin skin for a while.

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

I’m pretty sure the conversation has gone full circle now – but I’ll add my own final thoughts.

It sounds like opening up to all mobile platforms would be a beast to deal with – what works on the iPhone will certainly not work on the Blackberry – multiply that by thousands of phones and no set standard for mobile templates (even the largest of companies choke on this issue) and you can see how ugly an open-ended “mobile” category might get.

Limiting these type of mobile templates to a specific technology (ie: the iPhone) is a great idea in theory, but I worry about what happens when Apple drops a new set of design standards (which they are notorious for doing at their own discretion). Still, there are millions of people that use the iPhone, so I can definitely see there being the potential for a market there.

I don’t see a reason to launch this as an individual category though – as many people have brought up – the very nature of a mobile site is that it’s a companion to a full site. Whether these should be packaged along with full templates or sold individually should really be up to the author and the reviewers to decide. I’d imagine that in most cases, including it along with the package would be enough to drive more sales if the template is nice.

For iPhone templates that aren’t released as companions to existing products, the best solution I can see so far is that authors can be left to launch these into the HTML , Wordpress or Joomla categories under a new “iPhone version included” checkbox. HAG Designs has already done this with one of his templates and sold over 60 items – I think so long as the authors are clear about what the buyer gets in the product description, users should have an easy way to sorting out what templates are iPhone ready and which aren’t. A simple “show all products with iPhone versions” filter within the search/browsing system UI + a blog entry or two would probably be enough to highlight the mobile content.

If my line of thinking is correct, all that’s really needed is a new checkbox on the upload page that says “this template includes an iPhone ready version”. If this drives a huge amount of demand, we can always look into growing this into it’s own category in the future.

My guess is that the time, effort and testing to develop these technology specific templates won’t always be worth it though, but in the rare handful of cases where it is worth it, it’d be nice for buyers to be able to quickly pull up a list of sites that include iPhone versions.

Thoughts?

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

@segen – Yeah, that’s what I was referring to.

Even if it proves to be difficult to add the checkbox functionality to reference a mobile version of the site, it would only take a moment for the author to edit his description and write, “You can also purchase the mobile add-on for this site. Buy it here.”

We can all talk more during the monthly chat.

426 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
vasilios says

Do you know the date of that chat yet? Or at least in X weeks?

by
by
by
by
by
by