660 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
donchev_a says

Hi guys,

I spent some time on checking other stock web sites regarding the exclusiveness and the benefits and advantages of it. The bottom line is that on the other web sites (the biggest) to be an exclusive author means more than just have better earning rate.

what I mean?

To sell unique high quality files which you cannot find elsewhere is the main reason behind a stock site prosperity.

Now the current situation is that if you sell here as non-exclusive author you have the same benefits as the exclusive one except the rate. Which sometimes is not a big factor because if you sell on 2-3 other stock sites at some point you’ll overcome the issue with the lower rate.

I think a clear line between the exclusive and the non-exclusive Envato authors has to be drawn. I have some ideas, for example with the uploading process. if you are exclusive:
– If you miss some keywords the reviewer to correct them and accept your file. If you are not exclusive than your file to be rejected and you need to enter the proper keywords again.
– while search to have an option to display only the exclusive stuff. So the potential buyer will know that those files are available only here.
– faster approval process. Why? Because if the file is unique it will benefit the entire network, Envato and the other authors more than if it is not exclusive.
– better search ranking while the results are sorted by rating or other criteria.
– more…..???

I’ll be glad to hear more opinions on this. I know maybe I’m missing something, but still from the research which I did I know there are solid reasons behind my opinion, because it is not only mine but the situation/status of the biggest stock sites of the day.
thanks!

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

I love the idea of being able to filter exclusive files in search.

62 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
AndyA says

+1 to all of those ideas. That would be great! :D

315 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Denmark
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+2 more
brandtz says

Thumbs up, I think you do have a very good point …. cant wait to see some of these ideas implemented :)

1019 posts Freelance Flash and JavaScript Developer
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
sike says

Em.. I like the exclusive author friendly feature certainly. :)

146 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sweden
nicolasdelfino says

I totally agree with you donchev_a, + 1×10000000

2309 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
theflyingtinman says
– If you miss some keywords the reviewer to correct them and accept your file. If you are not exclusive than your file to be rejected and you need to enter the proper keywords again.

Definitely not this one : ALL authors should comply with upload rules or suffer the consequences. Allowing reviewer-correction of upload errors will just encourage sloppy uploads, escalating the workload on reviewers and causing more delays in the queue for all (exclusive or not)

– while search to have an option to display only the exclusive stuff. So the potential buyer will know that those files are available only here.

I like this idea. But I’m not sure why customers would care. It may even turn out to be counterproductive; There is no guarantee that a non-exclusive item is priced the same in another marketplace and seeing an item is non-exclusive, potential buyers may go find it cheaper elsewhere.

– faster approval process. Why? Because if the file is unique it will benefit the entire network, Envato and the other authors more than if it is not exclusive.

This could work. Maybe allocate some of the reviewers to work only on exclusive authors’ files

The down-side of your proposal is that many non-exclusive authors are probably non-exclusive because they produce high quality work that sells well in lots of marketplaces. If we penalize them too harshly here for being non-exclusive they may just abandon Envato altogether.

2322 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says

Good idea’s!

660 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • United States
donchev_a says

Definitely not this one : ALL authors should comply with upload rules or suffer the consequences. Allowing reviewer-correction of upload errors will just encourage sloppy uploads, escalating the workload on reviewers and causing more delays in the queue for all (exclusive or not)

I like this idea. But I’m not sure why customers would care. It may even turn out to be counterproductive; There is no guarantee that a non-exclusive item is priced the same in another marketplace and seeing an item is non-exclusive, potential buyers may go find it cheaper elsewhere.

This could work. Maybe allocate some of the reviewers to work only on exclusive authors’ files

The down-side of your proposal is that many non-exclusive authors are probably non-exclusive because they produce high quality work that sells well in lots of marketplaces. If we penalize them too harshly here for being non-exclusive they may just abandon Envato altogether.

about the approval. I do not try to discover the warm water. You just need to check the biggest stock site in the world. I took that idea 1×1 from there. It is regarding ONLY to the KEYWORDS . I am not talking about the qualitiy or other requirements. Just simple thing like the keywording. Sometimes some authors do not speak well English. this will encourage them to become an exclusive.

About the non-exclusive high quality authors… is the same as the low quality non-exclusive authors. Envato just made an announcement 1 week ago of rising the quality. So I think low quality files will not be accepted at all. I’ll push myself more just to meet these new standards.

BUT by being a place which offers unique products Envato will keep the EXCLUSIVE TOP AUTHORS here. It is about the benefits and the earnings. It is not about friendship. If Envato would like to keep the authors here than the benefits to be an exclusive author MUST be solid enough to keep them here. If I could earn more if I am not an exclusive and I do not have enough benefits here I’ll start selling on other places as well. It’s all about a simple math.

I prefer to see more TOP NOTCH EXCLUSIVE authors on Envato rather than to see top notch non exclusive.

199 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
ivank says

Great idea donchev !

+1 :D

@MarkDijakstra

Is the inventor of Dijakstra algorithm your relative? :D