56 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
flashdrone says

how about adding a simple shortcut to the item rating page in the downloaded zip file like below: http://activeden.net/user/flashdrone/rate_item/119266?rating=5

this way user will be reminded of the ratings and may be will come back and rate the item..

42 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
maguiar01 says

System can’t force users to rate, or we will receive just random rates from 90% of our customers. The only way is making good files and give good and reliable support. Sometimes i ask customers to rate after crossing a couple of emails with support requests.

I could not agree more. And i believe that the same would happen if you try to offer some kind of reward too.

Right now i can only think in two ways to improve the “buyers rate” rate :

• Ask for your customers. (In your profile, items description page and when you offer support.
  • Envato run a “rate your items” campaing every once and while.(again, no rewards!)
59 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
Smack3 says

how about adding a simple shortcut to the item rating page in the downloaded zip file like below: http://activeden.net/user/flashdrone/rate_item/119266?rating=5 this way user will be reminded of the ratings and may be will come back and rate the item..

I agree and this is an obvious choice. Actually all of these are good ideas except for anything that imposes anything on the buyer and all of them should be used, not just one.

People love to rate stuff and leave their feedback, look at CNET for example. Sure it’s a review site but does that mean that envato can’t make the rating system like a mini review site?

People rate on places like CNET all the time and if the people felt the rating system was important for the product, then more people would rate. It should be as organic as any other element on envato so it doesn’t feel less important to buyers.

151 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Keenpixel says

Obviously from the number of responses I’m not the only one who sees a problem with the current system!

I agree that rating items before they are downloaded is not the best solution across all marketplaces. And any kind of “forcing” will probably be met with resistance. But how else can we be guaranteed that they’ll come back to rate?

Personally I’ve started including a “please remember to rate” line in my HTML help file. But of course that’s not foolproof and I’m sure that some buyers will still never return to rate their purchase.

I’m in agreement that the ratings system itself could use an overhaul. And Envato definitely needs to play more of a role in getting buyers to rate, especially since as GreedyBrown pointed out, ratings play a big role in a buyer’s decision. And Envato requires at least 3 ratings for it to even show up. Seems to me if they are going to enforce that restriction there really needs to be some sort of system in place that actually gets people to rate!

They sort of left us Authors with our hands tied in the whole ratings game…

1045 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

The only way to force a buyer to vote/rate is when they just bought the file(before they download the files) and you cant ask an buyer to vote/rate on something he didn’t used before.

Exactly. For some marketplaces, like AudioJungle, you know exactly what you’re getting. But with anything code or tutorial related you can’t accurately rate without using it.

Why would you want to force a rating out of someone? Couldn’t that put a lot of customers in a bad mood resulting in a lower rating? I personally would be annoyed if that happened for anything I bought. People don’t like being told what to do.

Envato is working on a major overhaul of the rating system for all marketplaces.

1045 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

I agree that rating items before they are downloaded is not the best solution across all marketplaces. And any kind of “forcing” will probably be met with resistance. But how else can we be guaranteed that they’ll come back to rate?

You can’t guarantee everyone will rate a product. That’s just life. Personally, I don’t have a problem with the current rating system.

Why do you want everyone to rate you? I’ve had some miserable customers that are just unhappy with life for no particular reason tell me they love my product but rated it a 2 or 3 because it’s not “orange” or something. I’m pretty happy that these people typically don’t rate products and really glad they’re not forced to.

151 posts
+1 more
Keenpixel says

Why do you want everyone to rate you? I’ve had some miserable customers that are just unhappy with life for no particular reason tell me they love my product but rated it a 2 or 3 because it’s not “orange” or something. I’m pretty happy that these people typically don’t rate products and really glad they’re not forced to.

I would have to agree with you in the case of picky buyers! Sometimes it’s better for them not to leave a rating! But buyers pay attention to the ratings I would wager. I guess my whole beef with the situation is that Envato REQUIRES at least 3 votes on any one item for ratings to even appear. Shouldn’t they then also require, or at least ensure, that those ratings are left in the first place?!

The system is not ideal IMHO and there’s plenty of room for improvement. I’m happy to hear that they are working on an overhaul!

3446 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

I guess my whole beef with the situation is that Envato REQUIRES at least 3 votes on any one item for ratings to even appear. Shouldn’t they then also require, or at least ensure, that those ratings are left in the first place?! The system is not ideal IMHO and there’s plenty of room for improvement. I’m happy to hear that they are working on an overhaul!

I see the 3-vote minimum as a protection to us buyers. Otherwise one of the unscrupulous buyers that Parallelus mentioned that rates a product low “because it’s not orange” could torpedo a product before it even gets off the ground. At least with a 3-vote minimum it’s less likely that a good product ends up with a 1-star rating due to some silly raters.

151 posts
+1 more
Keenpixel says

I see the 3-vote minimum as a protection to us buyers. Otherwise one of the unscrupulous buyers that Parallelus mentioned that rates a product low “because it’s not orange” could torpedo a product before it even gets off the ground. At least with a 3-vote minimum it’s less likely that a good product ends up with a 1-star rating due to some silly raters.

I see your point, I hadn’t considered this scenario…

3007 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

i had problems with the rating system….. it happened 3 or 4 times with my latest theme. every time i got it up to 5 start, someone voted a 1 star. BUT EVERY SINGLE TIME . now i don’t ask for ratings but it seems when customers are happy they give it. i have 59 ratings for my latest theme. i consider them to be a lot of ratings for that amount of purchases.

by
by
by
by
by
by